Muriatic Acid - Need to lower PH

Mindflux

LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2014
Pflugerville, TX
I'm just a beginner, but I've read you can get MA at the hardware store.

Home Depot it closest to me, though I see a lot of mention of Crown from Lowes.

This from Home Depot (if it works) is 2 gallons for under $11. A better deal than lowes and it seems to be 20 Baume (31.45%)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-2x1-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid-2118-HD/100119310#specifications

Anyone see any problems using this?
Nope - no problems, that is the stuff you want. At that price I'll have to go by HD as I normally use Lowes.

Just remember, this is strong stuff. I don't wear gloves, but I do make sure I have glasses on. I open the bottle after I am kneeling next to the pool and partially submerge the bottle in the pool and pour from that position. This reduces the possibility of splashing on my clothes or the pool deck. I also don't measure. I guesstimate pour. I can always make it up tomorrow if I'm a little light on the MA. It has a very strong odor so I open and close at arms length and only leave it uncapped while pouring.

If it is not half strength then that is a decent price and fine to use.

How would you tell? The bottle label suggests it's 31.45% which seems like the potent stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope - no problems, that is the stuff you want. At that price I'll have to go by HD as I normally use Lowes.

Just remember, this is strong stuff. I don't wear gloves, but I do make sure I have glasses on. I open the bottle after I am kneeling next to the pool and partially submerge the bottle in the pool and pour from that position. This reduces the possibility of splashing on my clothes or the pool deck. I also don't measure. I guesstimate pour. I can always make it up tomorrow if I'm a little light on the MA. It has a very strong odor so I open and close at arms length and only leave it uncapped while pouring.

I'll keep this in mind. Seems like a good way to lose a full jug in a pool though but I understand the precaution.

I'm just a beginner, but I've read you can get MA at the hardware store.

Home Depot it closest to me, though I see a lot of mention of Crown from Lowes.

This from Home Depot (if it works) is 2 gallons for under $11. A better deal than lowes and it seems to be 20 Baume (31.45%)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-2x1-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid-2118-HD/100119310#specifications

Anyone see any problems using this?

I use this and it works fine. When my pH is high I pour in a bit and the next day my pH is about where pool math says it should be.

Just to reinforce the others: this is strong, nasty stuff in concentrated form. Please take precautions and wear your safety gear while dealing with it. Gloves and glasses at a minimum at my pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.