Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Muriatic Acid - Need to lower PH

1. Back To Top    #1

Muriatic Acid - Need to lower PH

I'm just a beginner, but I've read you can get MA at the hardware store.

Home Depot it closest to me, though I see a lot of mention of Crown from Lowes.

This from Home Depot (if it works) is 2 gallons for under $11. A better deal than lowes and it seems to be 20 Baume (31.45%)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-2x1...specifications

Anyone see any problems using this?
    13,000 gallons w/ spa (in-ground) | Plaster pool surface
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Muriatic Acid - Need to lower PH

That will work just fine. That's the concentrated stuff which is the most economical but use caution when handling and adding to pool.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post

This from Home Depot (if it works) is 2 gallons for under $11. A better deal than lowes and it seems to be 20 Baume (31.45%)

Nope - no problems, that is the stuff you want. At that price I'll have to go by HD as I normally use Lowes.

Just remember, this is strong stuff. I don't wear gloves, but I do make sure I have glasses on. I open the bottle after I am kneeling next to the pool and partially submerge the bottle in the pool and pour from that position. This reduces the possibility of splashing on my clothes or the pool deck. I also don't measure. I guesstimate pour. I can always make it up tomorrow if I'm a little light on the MA. It has a very strong odor so I open and close at arms length and only leave it uncapped while pouring.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

If it is not half strength then that is a decent price and fine to use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    If it is not half strength then that is a decent price and fine to use.
    How would you tell? The bottle label suggests it's 31.45% which seems like the potent stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Nope - no problems, that is the stuff you want. At that price I'll have to go by HD as I normally use Lowes.

Just remember, this is strong stuff. I don't wear gloves, but I do make sure I have glasses on. I open the bottle after I am kneeling next to the pool and partially submerge the bottle in the pool and pour from that position. This reduces the possibility of splashing on my clothes or the pool deck. I also don't measure. I guesstimate pour. I can always make it up tomorrow if I'm a little light on the MA. It has a very strong odor so I open and close at arms length and only leave it uncapped while pouring.
    I'll keep this in mind. Seems like a good way to lose a full jug in a pool though but I understand the precaution.
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

6. Back To Top    #6

I hold my breath the whole time I have 31.45 open. Glasses, gloves, measuring cup. Strong stuff.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by peterdaly View Post
    I hold my breath the whole time I have 31.45 open. Glasses, gloves, measuring cup. Strong stuff.
    I agree! That is why I skip the measuring cup. Just one extra step while it is open to allow for spills.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I use these
    mask.jpg
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post

I use this and it works fine. When my pH is high I pour in a bit and the next day my pH is about where pool math says it should be.

Just to reinforce the others: this is strong, nasty stuff in concentrated form. Please take precautions and wear your safety gear while dealing with it. Gloves and glasses at a minimum at my pool.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

You should also store you MA well away from your chlorine. Never mix them it results in chlorine gas. I buy my MA at HD too.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    You should also store you MA well away from your chlorine. Never mix them it results in chlorine gas. I buy my MA at HD too.
    I have a SWG, so I don't think that'll be a problem. Thanks for the tip though!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by astronaut888 View Post
    I use these
    Getting an attractive women to do it for you. Very smart.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by SwimAustin View Post
    Getting an attractive women to do it for you. Very smart.
    I tried, the wive vetoed the pool girl idea....