Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please recommend automation system

1. Back To Top    #1

Please recommend automation system

Hi,

I have a pool/spa combination and am getting ready to add a Stenner pump based on all the reviews I have read on this site. I'd like to now add automation as my pool equipment is not very close to the pool/spa and I'm getting tired of having to turn on and adjust valves, temperature, and pumps before and after I jump into the spa.

I'd like the automation to control the following:
    1) Main pump - single speed 2.5HP
    2) Polaris 280 with booster pump
    3) Raypak RP2100 propane heater
    4) Waterfall (not crucial but nice)
    5) Stenner pump - to be added in near future

To go from pool to spa and back, I have just two valves to adjust.

So, I guess I need 5 circuits and two valve actuators.

I need to have remote capability as the pool equipment is not located conveniently by the pool. I want to be able to adjust and monitor pool/spa temperature (ambient would be nice as well)

I would also like to be able to install, program, change, and maintain this on my own. I'm an engineer, so I do have some mechanical and electrical knowledge.

Any suggestions?
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please recommend automation system

How is the waterfall controlled?
    I am not seeing 5 circuits. I only see 3 relays required for the 2 pumps and the Stenner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    How is the waterfall controlled?
    I am not seeing 5 circuits. I only see 3 relays required for the 2 pumps and the Stenner.
    The waterfall is controlled with a simple switch located on the patio near the pool/spa, hence this is not a top priority. It does, however, have a separate pump located with the rest of the pool equipment. Wouldn't this require a relay of its own? Also, what about the heater, I assume it too would require its own relay?
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

I was trying to learn if it had a pump or a valve. A pump would need a relay. You should consider a 2 speed pump eventually, which would require another relay.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

No relay for the heater.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I was trying to learn if it had a pump or a valve. A pump would need a relay. You should consider a 2 speed pump eventually, which would require another relay.
    I assume you mean a "2 speed pump" for the main pump to replace the single speed 2.5HP motor? If so, I agree. This motor was replaced under a home warranty just last summer, so I suspect it will last for awhile! I doubt I'd see a good payback from a 2 speed motor based on just the energy consumption difference between the two pumps. Currently, since I'm using bleach to chlorinate the pool, I only run the pump about 5 hours per day and that seems to be enough.

7. Back To Top    #7

You could easily see a 50% reduction in power consumption, the $ depends on your power cost.

I would also consider replacing the booster pressure cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I found this and I think it will do what I need. Other automation systems are twice the price!

http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.co...rs_p_7984.html

Comments?