Hello from Central, CA

May 21, 2014
Merced, CA
Hi everyone, Have an in ground pool with sand filter, believe I have approx. an 18' x 33' irregular shaped pool, 28,000 gals. that has been here about 23 years if my estimates are correct. (Just bought the house in April). We have been doing pretty good all summer with chemicals. Using bleach and basically that has been all up until the last month. CYA has been high since we moved in, very high. We stopped using the pucks and shock completely. It has been nothing but bleach until my PH got to about 8.0 and I used some MA to bring it down. TA was a bit high as well and the MA brought it down. Stayed down around 7.4 for a week and then started climbing back up again. Used more MA and it came back down again. Been about a week and it is back up again. We have a "Solar-Breeze" pool skimmer. Could its action in the pool 24/7 be aerating the water and bringing the PH back up? Other causes? Thanks Mack, 10365458_837302369614467_2955934269096067917_o.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What is your TA level? Generally the pH always tends to rise unless your TA is pretty low and assuming that your top off water is not high in pH and/or TA.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Tim, Did you drain your pool to get the CYA down? Ours is coming down slowly with backwashes and not using pucks or shock.
our area has a very high water table, so draining scares me. I did it through several one foot drains as well as being quick to back wash and vacuum to waste over several months.

I'm sure the previous owner used pucks/shock. I bought a bucket of pucks and two boxes of shock, my being pool stored before I found this site. I used two pucks and one bag of shock before converting to all bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support