Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dolphin Filter Cartridge/Filter Bag or Both??

1. Back To Top    #1

Dolphin Filter Cartridge/Filter Bag or Both??

I have spent hours reading through forum information before purchasing my first robotic cleaner...seems to me that having the option to use both the filter bag for alot of leaves and also having the cartridge option is the way to go...looking at the DX6 or the Premier (these seem to be the only units that offer both options)can anyone give me feedback on these units or your thoughts on why i should look at other models? I definitely want the caddy and the remote....thanks for any information.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dolphin Filter Cartridge/Filter Bag or Both??

Welcome to TFP

If you expect to clean up large amounts of big leaves or tons of small ones, the bag/filter combo might be what you want. Even so, Robots will be limited in how many leaves they can hold no matter which you choose. I was considering the DX-6, but ultimately decided on the M5 as I thought I wanted the ease of top loading carts for frequent cleaning up of dirt and dust. So far, I made the right choice. I will have a ton of good sized leaves soon enough, but I will be using the old leaf rake for the bulk.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Many of the dolphins can use both bag and filter, I think all except top loading. Many can also use a remote. There are many cheaper choices than just the ones mentioned such as dx4, and triton.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Top loading filter cartridges simply can't be beat. When leaf dropping season comes around, like Brushpup I just get the bulk of it with the leaf rake. I've sucked up as many as 20 or so leaves with the Dolphin Z5. The cartridge housing holds more than you think. But any more than that and you're probably hampering its filtering capability.
    26k Gunite freeform pool w/spa, Pentair CCP520, Pentair Mastertemp heater, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Dolphin Oasis Z5

Bob

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone for the info....I ordered an M5 today....decided the 3rd brush would be more important...my son's pool gets alot of wind blown dirt at the bottom

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by poolmom985 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info....I ordered an M5 today....decided the 3rd brush would be more important...my son's pool gets alot of wind blown dirt at the bottom
    ordered? Be careful, on line sales of the M5 void the warranty according to their literature. The on line version is the Z5.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi...your warranty is in tact if you order from an authorized dolphin distributor....amazon, ebay, etc are voided

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by poolmom985 View Post
    Hi...your warranty is in tact if you order from an authorized dolphin distributor....amazon, ebay, etc are voided
    Authorized distributors are prohibited from Internet sales. Some do it and don't admit it's a net sale. You just have to be careful what you say if you ever need warranty work. Your local store may be unhappy they lost the sale.

Just be careful
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Good Choice Poolmom. You'll never regret the purchase.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem