Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What brand of bleach??????

1. Back To Top    #1

What brand of bleach??????

I know a lot of studies have been done on this forum concerning bleach vs, the bad guys.(dichlor,tri..)etc. but any study saying is one bleach better than another etal Clorox and walmart or whatever. Thank you Dav e G.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What brand of bleach??????

Whichever is the least expensive. The active ingredient is Sodium hypochlorite, which cannot be branded by advertising.
    Typically, the 8.25%is the best deal, but if you look around long enough, you might find liquid pool shock (which is the same as bleach), at 10% for about the same price....

hope this helps,
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

I use Great Value (Walmart brand). Whatever you use make sure it says the percentage of sodium hypochlorite on the bottle. Typically 8.25% or 6%. If it doesnt say then it is ususally very weak.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

does help thanks much Dave G.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Any brand but make sure you know what a "deal" is. The problem is it comes in different strengths and different sizes. Here is a calculator that will tell you what you are paying for the actual bleach per oz so you can compare apples to oranges but making them equal http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/
    You want to stay away from scented or splashless. They can cause problems like foaming. Concentrated is fine, just means they upped the strength and usually sell it in a smaller bottle. That's where the calculator comes in handy trying to figure out where to get your bleach. Best price I can find is FleetFarm, case (4X1gal) of 12.5% for 9.99

Besides bleach you can also see if you can get liquid pool shock (bleach). Besides Walmart or grocery stores there are also hardware stores and even pool stores. Some even have refillable containers and if you are buying 2, 2.5, 5 ... gallons it can be pretty cheap. It's also nice not having your entire recycling container full of bleach bottles each spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Unless you're buying from a bigbox store such as walmart or target which have a fast turnover of stock, you should be very wary of the manufactured date that should be on the bottle. I was looking to get some 10% @ home Depot last year (sept) and found it was made in March. Every time I go to hd I check to see if they have new stock in-- they don't and infact still have some of that march 2013 stock on the floor. I wouldn't ever buy from a dollar store for that same reason.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I use the 3pk of 121oz Clorox 8.25% at Costco for $8.99. No problems here. I'd love to go back to using liquid chlorine but I don't care for having to coerce the Leslie's Pool guy to pull 'em out of the back room every time I go, and the local hardware stores keep theirs out in the sun all day and don't seem to have a large turnover judging by the date codes I see.
    26k Gunite freeform pool w/spa, Pentair CCP520, Pentair Mastertemp heater, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Dolphin Oasis Z5

Bob

8. Back To Top    #8

WalMart Great Value most of the time, Clorox if I get by a Costco.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by BSmitty View Post
    I use the 3pk of 121oz Clorox 8.25% at Costco for $8.99. No problems here. I'd love to go back to using liquid chlorine but I don't care for having to coerce the Leslie's Pool guy to pull 'em out of the back room every time I go, and the local hardware stores keep theirs out in the sun all day and don't seem to have a large turnover judging by the date codes I see.
    Look for a Hasa dealer in your area.

Here are the ones close to Antioch:

16.67 Miles
    Aquarius Pool + Spa Service
    1822 Mt Diablo Blvd, Walnut Creek, CA US
    WEB: http://www.poolspapros.com
    (925) 933-3310

19.36 Miles
    Coral Pool Services, Inc
    3463 Golden Gate Way, Lafayette, CA US
    WEB: http://www.partdirect.com
    (916) 683-7665

19.44 Miles
    Valley Pool Center
    2066 Railroad Ave, Livermore, CA US
    (925) 447-5811

22.57 Miles
    Pleasanton Pool Center
    5513 Sunol Blvd, Pleasanton, CA US
    WEB: http://www.pleasantonpoolcenter.com
    (925) 846-2789

23.27 Miles
    KLM/Fremont Pool Service
    3941 Holly Drive Unit #E, Tracy, CA 95304 US
    WEB: www.klmpools.com
    (209) 833-9200

They all seem a little far for a trip just for chlorine, but if you go that way for something anyway it might work for you.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Look for a Hasa dealer in your area.

Here are the ones close to Antioch:

16.67 Miles
    Aquarius Pool + Spa Service
    1822 Mt Diablo Blvd, Walnut Creek, CA US
    WEB: http://www.poolspapros.com
    (925) 933-3310

19.36 Miles
    Coral Pool Services, Inc
    3463 Golden Gate Way, Lafayette, CA US
    WEB: http://www.partdirect.com
    (916) 683-7665

19.44 Miles
    Valley Pool Center
    2066 Railroad Ave, Livermore, CA US
    (925) 447-5811

22.57 Miles
    Pleasanton Pool Center
    5513 Sunol Blvd, Pleasanton, CA US
    WEB: http://www.pleasantonpoolcenter.com
    (925) 846-2789

23.27 Miles
    KLM/Fremont Pool Service
    3941 Holly Drive Unit #E, Tracy, CA 95304 US
    WEB: www.klmpools.com
    (209) 833-9200

They all seem a little far for a trip just for chlorine, but if you go that way for something anyway it might work for you.
    Outstanding sir...thanks for the info!
    26k Gunite freeform pool w/spa, Pentair CCP520, Pentair Mastertemp heater, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Dolphin Oasis Z5

Bob

11. Back To Top    #11

I usually get Wal-Mart Great Value bleach. Labeled at 8.25%. It has been very consistent. HEB value brand works just as well.

I did notice some bottles showing up on the shelf next to the Great Value, non-scented, claiming a new spout design. However, the concentration and ingredients are not labeled on the bottle. Did something change that now doesn't require them to put this on the bottle?
    Pool: Inground gunite/plaster, 34'x12', 3.5' - 5.5' - 3.5', ~14,000 Gal, 420 SQFT, 87.5' Perimeter, Salt Water, Waterfall, Oklahoma flagstone. Equipment: Hayward V/S, 425 SQFT Cartridge filter, Pool Pilot Digital Nano http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...tx-t38458.html

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

That seems to be a trend lately. Then you have to find the manufacturer and track down the MSDS on the product. It will give you the concentration.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!