Combined chlorine that won't go away

May 24, 2014
Fort Kent, ME
Hi all, I am a brand new spa owner. I have been using the BBB method with my pool successfully for three years. My spa is 300gal, completely independent of pool with an ozonator that can not be shut off. I bought it used. I used spa system flush dumped the water and started with fresh water and a new filter. My CH is 100, my TA is 100 (I plan to lower), my PH is 7.8 and my FC has never reached 0. My problem is that even though my chlorine is what I would expect for instance this morning at 7 AM I brought the FC from 3 to 9, when I checked it at 6PM it was 4.5. The filter and ozonator ran for two hours during that time with no bathers. Each time I have checked the FC today I have had a CC of 1. Yesterday with the new water it was 0. By the way my CYA is still less than 30. If I forgot something I apologize! Any in site would be great. I have the filter running constantly now. Thank you!!

Usually an ozonator will help reduce CC so that is very strange. Does the water smell bad? Perhaps the CC is something innocuous like chlorourea. You can see if having the cover off and running the jets helps to remove it. Exposure to sunlight could also help. You could try adding chlorine to accelerate its breakdown but the ozone should have been able handle it, but didn't.

That water smells fine and is crystal clear. Last night before I went to bed the FC was 6 and the CC was 1. I added enough liquid bleach to raise it to 12. This morning my FC is 4 and my CC is 1. The filter has been running non stop for 12 hours. The cover was off last night for probably two hours but I will try taking it off again. It's raining so that's not going to help with that much ;). Thanks for your reply, if you can think of anything else let me know, I am confused.

- - - Updated - - -

How many hours should I have to run the filter per day? I certainly can't keep it running 24/7! :). It runs twice a day for whatever duration I set it for. We are a family of 6 and I expect it will be used most everyday. I thought maybe the CC problem was related to not running it enough but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I had it set for 4 hours total.

I had to refill it Monday evening due to the fact that we had to fix a small leak. I filled it with water from my pool which had 0 CC. The next day it started reading 1 CC and has since that time. The lowest the FC has gotten was .5 and that was right after heavy use and I immediately added chlorine. We have had an average of about four people use it everyday for probably a total of two hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.