New member.....new pool

TXHeat

Aug 13, 2014
Mansfield, TX
Hello all.....I've been lurking for awhile, but recently just completed our pool build, our first. Started the process last fall, got six bids, narrowed it down to two by spring and started construction in mid June and were swimming around the first week in August.

We ended up going with Puryear Custom Pools in Fort Worth and were overall quite happy with the process and the end result. The pool is chlorine, approx. 36" x 16", 3.5/4.5/5.5 depth, and about 14,700 gallons. We had the spa in our original bids, but decided to go with the pool only for several reasons, not the least of which was cost factor. Extras we went with are a 15' weeping wall water feature, 45 SF flagstone tanning ledge, paver decking, all Jandy equipment including remote, and the mini pebble plaster in Midnight Blue.

I've attached a couple pictures of the finished product, but also have many more of the construction throughout the process. Looking forward to learning more about equipment, chemicals, etc.

[URL=http://s623.photobucket.com/user/JeffandLez/media/IMG_2611.jpg.html][/URL]
IMG_2614.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi TxHeat. Welcome from over in Longview, Texas. There are lots of Texans here.
Awesome pool you have there. Very nice!

If you havent found it yet, you can learn quite a bit about pool chemistry by reading the ABC's. It goes on from there.
Please feel free to ask questions about anything you need to. There are lots of people here to help out.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TXHeat welcome! Your paver deck is exactly what we are planning to go with on our under-construction pool. Can you tell me the brand, style, and color of those pavers?

Thanks for the comments Cuse. The brand is Belgard, style is called Cambridge Cobble and color is Hill Country. We're really happy with them. There was a little grittiness/sandy feeling for a week or two after they applied the isomeric sand and again after they came back to touch up some areas after cleanup, but has now dissipated. They really feel great under the feet too.

Only downside I can foresee is having to add sand from time to time to fill in some gaps, especially in trouble spots that might get a little more runoff in rain events, but certainly no big deal.

Thanks for the comments Cuse. The brand is Belgard, style is called Cambridge Cobble and color is Hill Country. We're really happy with them. There was a little grittiness/sandy feeling for a week or two after they applied the isomeric sand and again after they came back to touch up some areas after cleanup, but has now dissipated. They really feel great under the feet too.

Only downside I can foresee is having to add sand from time to time to fill in some gaps, especially in trouble spots that might get a little more runoff in rain events, but certainly no big deal.

Ha! Awesome, that is exactly the pave and color we are getting!! That is just amazing, but I really struggled to find good photos of that paver installed and especially around a pool.

We have an existing paver deck near the pool which is red/orange/gray tones, but we wanted to have a "beach sand" type color for the pool deck. I hope it looks as good as yours does! Question: I have seen one or two photos of Hill Country where it has a strong yellow cast to some of the pavers, do you find that is the case with yours?

Ha! Awesome, that is exactly the pave and color we are getting!! That is just amazing, but I really struggled to find good photos of that paver installed and especially around a pool.

We have an existing paver deck near the pool which is red/orange/gray tones, but we wanted to have a "beach sand" type color for the pool deck. I hope it looks as good as yours does! Question: I have seen one or two photos of Hill Country where it has a strong yellow cast to some of the pavers, do you find that is the case with yours?

What a coincidence!! We had the same issue too finding good pictures to look at. We found a few online, but it was still a little bit of a leap of faith. Our brick on the house is probably similar to your existing paver deck (kind of an orange'ish color with some white and charcoal) and we felt this was the best match. We could have gone with the darker gray colors, but really preferred to stay with something lighter thinking it wouldn't get as hot and also since we were going with Oklahoma flagstone coping and a darker plaster.

There is some variance in the colors of the pavers which I think makes it look much better and more natural. I don't really see what I would call yellow, but more of a subtle cream color. Some are that color, some are white like Austin Stone, and others have a subtle hint of gray or charcoal. I've attached a more close-up pic below that I just took in the midday sun that is a good sample of what the pavers look like. I also caught our Oklahoma flagstone and a little bit of the pool for comparison/contrast. Let me know if you have more questions. We love it and I think y'all will too.

IMG_2621.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What a coincidence!! We had the same issue too finding good pictures to look at. We found a few online, but it was still a little bit of a leap of faith. Our brick on the house is probably similar to your existing paver deck (kind of an orange'ish color with some white and charcoal) and we felt this was the best match. We could have gone with the darker gray colors, but really preferred to stay with something lighter thinking it wouldn't get as hot and also since we were going with Oklahoma flagstone coping and a darker plaster.

There is some variance in the colors of the pavers which I think makes it look much better and more natural. I don't really see what I would call yellow, but more of a subtle cream color. Some are that color, some are white like Austin Stone, and others have a subtle hint of gray or charcoal. I've attached a more close-up pic below that I just took in the midday sun that is a good sample of what the pavers look like. I also caught our Oklahoma flagstone and a little bit of the pool for comparison/contrast. Let me know if you have more questions. We love it and I think y'all will too.

Thanks for the extra picture. It looks awesome. They will maybe be installing mine next week. I can't wait to see how it looks but also to not have open pits of clay and mud everywhere! One thing I am really worried about is the method of putting this deck in. My PB has been obtuse to say the least when I question them. I'm worried that it will be tough to get a good base for the pavers since there is so much plumbing under the deck and they have refilled the trenches with our gulf coast "gumbo" dirt. I know they plan to use concrete stabilized sand, but I'm still nervous that in 3 years my deck with be sinking. Do you know what method they used on yours? And how is the temperature of it in direct sun?

Thanks for the extra picture. It looks awesome. They will maybe be installing mine next week. I can't wait to see how it looks but also to not have open pits of clay and mud everywhere! One thing I am really worried about is the method of putting this deck in. My PB has been obtuse to say the least when I question them. I'm worried that it will be tough to get a good base for the pavers since there is so much plumbing under the deck and they have refilled the trenches with our gulf coast "gumbo" dirt. I know they plan to use concrete stabilized sand, but I'm still nervous that in 3 years my deck with be sinking. Do you know what method they used on yours? And how is the temperature of it in direct sun?

I felt the exact same way, but it appears they knew what they were doing. They applied a good amount of base material kind of resembling crushed granite, then sand, then the pavers. The only moment of pause I had was after they got them all laid out, the edges were very soft because they were just on sand and base material. I didn't know that they were coming back to fortify the edges with more dirt and Portland cement. Now it's very level and firm with no give at all. Only time will tell if they stay as level as they are now.

They get warm on the feet in the sunlight, but not any worse than most other surfaces and definitely not too hot to walk on with bare feet.

Another benefit is that if there are ever any plumbing issues where they need to get to the plumbing lines, it's much easier to pull up and replace the pavers instead of jackhammering up concrete and would be easier to match back up after the repair.

Somebody screwed up somewhere. I know with ours, we had expanded our decking from the original plan by about 50 SF in a change order. Someone didn't get the memo so they were initially that much short and had to come out with a second delivery mid job which held us up by a day or two. But at least the color was right.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support