Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dead mouse in skimmer basket. What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dead mouse in skimmer basket. What to do?

I found a dead field mouse in my skimmer basket today. This is the second time it has happened this season. I disposed of the corpse, but what the question is what do you do when you find dead rodents or similar larger creatures in your pool?

My yard backs out onto a forest, so field mice are bound to fall into the pool.

My test results today using the K-2006 were:

FC = 3.2
    CC = 0.4
    PH = 7.8

I did not test TA, CH or CYA today.
    On Aug 7th the results were:

TA = 80
    CH = 110
    CYA = 30.

I am working on bring the CYA to the recommended level for salt water pools.

I had to wait a few days to go and buy some CYA and hence I only added the CYA on Aug 11th. I am waiting a week for the CYA to dissolve before retesting. I also added some MA today to drop down the PH. All additions have been per PoolMath.

The CC is elevated today as it took two drops to make all of the pink go away. Usually, I have all of the pink go away within one drop and I record that as 0.2 for the CC.

I am assuming that this was the result of the dead mouse in the skimmer. Back to the original question, what do you do when you find dead rodents or similar larger creatures in your pool?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dead mouse in skimmer basket. What to do?

Don't bother with the 25ml sample and increased precision when performing the FAS/DPD test. It's not necessary. Your CC is below .5, as long as FC is where it belongs, there is nothing to worry about.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

X2 on What RobbieH said.
    As a precaution you may want to run your FC a bit higher maybe aim for 5-6 just in case. It's one of those instances where having it a little higher is much better than it getting too low.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Out in the woods myself and get a critter occasionally. Glove up, toss it in the woods and make sure you are at or a little above the daily maintenance FC for your CYA level.

If you added some CYA you should be using the target level you used to add the stabilizer. If you added enough to go to 50 you should be using and TREATING the water like you had 50ppm CYA until you retest on the 17th or 18th and then use that number until you add more. You want to assume you have the level of CYA you targeted and made the addition for
    Did you use a sock and stick it in the skimmer or in front of a return jet ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have found many a critter in my skimmer basket. Just throw them out. The water will be fine.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

We find a fair amount that wander out of the barn after eating poison looking for water. They find it. Little salty. Just pitch them in field and move on. My 10 year old daughter does it now so I don't have to.
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    Out in the woods myself and get a critter occasionally. Glove up, toss it in the woods and make sure you are at or a little above the daily maintenance FC for your CYA level.

If you added some CYA you should be using the target level you used to add the stabilizer. If you added enough to go to 50 you should be using and TREATING the water like you had 50ppm CYA until you retest on the 17th or 18th and then use that number until you add more. You want to assume you have the level of CYA you targeted and made the addition for
    Did you use a sock and stick it in the skimmer or in front of a return jet ??
    I put the CYA in a sock in the skimmer. It was gone from the sock the next day, but I understand that some small particles may still be in the sand filter and dissolving into the water.

Before seeing any responses to my original question, I had bumped up the SWG for a number of hours. I retested the water today and got:
    FC = 9.0
    CC = 0.2 or less (there was a slight shade of pink which was gone with the first drop)
    PH = 7.7

With the FC I currently have, I am sure that I am above the target FC for both the CYA I tested and what I might get to with the CYA I added.

The good news is that whatever was making my CC slightly higher is now dead and the filter will remove whatever remains from the water.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

8. Back To Top    #8

I usually have a vole a week in one of my skimmers. As long as FC is in range, don't worry about it. I would much rather find one of them than the big spiders that are sometimes in there; ALIVE!
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100