Couple Chlorine Questions

Jul 8, 2014
East Coast
Here are some questions I've been wondering, but can't find an answer to:
  1. Pool servicemen visit pools weekly, right? How do they keep the pool from going green without adding chlorine daily?
  2. In the TF-100, it comes with an OTO along with the FAS-DPD. How often do you test with the FAS-DPD?

Here are some questions I've been wondering, but can't find an answer to:
  1. Pool servicemen visit pools weekly, right? How do they keep the pool from going green without adding chlorine daily?
  2. In the TF-100, it comes with an OTO along with the FAS-DPD. How often do you test with the FAS-DPD?

In reverse order:

2. Daily -- I rarely use the OTO that comes alongside the pH test. Not very accurate or easy to read.

1. Magic beans

The pucks will keep the pool from getting green. As long as you're willing to keep increasing the amount you drop in

When I first started caring for my pool using the TFP method I tested with FAS-DPD every day or every other day. This was in effort to understand exactly what my pool demanded. After the first season I could see obvious patterns depending on usage, weather, solar cover on or off, etc. Now I know my pool well enough to only test once a week or less using the FAS-DPD.

So no FAS every day? That's probably why the TF-100 came with an OTO, for everyday testing. I was thinking about doing FAS-DPD weekly, and OTO daily, but I may not even do daily tests.

Good to hear what others are doing.

I should add that I maintain a CYA level of 30 which requires a chlorine level within the range of the OTO tester. If your CYA is at a level that requires a chlorine level higher than 5 it would be wise to test with the FAS-DPD more often than weekly

Operating with CYA of 30-50 it's pretty easy with the OTO for daily testing. If it's 5 or "more yellow" no need to add. If it's less yellow than 5 it's a ballpark of whether it's 3 or 3.5 or 4 so I'll bump it up 2-3 FC.

Saturday is FAS-DPD day.

I have never used the OTO chlorine test due to my sky high CYA and stupid amounts of FC I had to keep. I've finally beaten the CYA down to a level that I can almost use the OTO test, but now the Sample Sizer and SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer are so fun to use I just end up doing the FAS/DPD. Now, I admit that with my Stenner pump I generally only test every other day.

As other have said, most pool companies don't understand or care about your CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.