Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Couple Chlorine Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Couple Chlorine Questions

Here are some questions I've been wondering, but can't find an answer to:
    1. Pool servicemen visit pools weekly, right? How do they keep the pool from going green without adding chlorine daily?
    2. In the TF-100, it comes with an OTO along with the FAS-DPD. How often do you test with the FAS-DPD?
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Couple Chlorine Questions

Pool guys usually dump puck(s) in the skimmer. They don't care if your CYA goes sky high.

I test with FAS/DPD about once per week.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    Here are some questions I've been wondering, but can't find an answer to:
    1. Pool servicemen visit pools weekly, right? How do they keep the pool from going green without adding chlorine daily?
    2. In the TF-100, it comes with an OTO along with the FAS-DPD. How often do you test with the FAS-DPD?
    In reverse order:

2. Daily -- I rarely use the OTO that comes alongside the pH test. Not very accurate or easy to read.

1. Magic beans
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

The pucks will keep the pool from getting green. As long as you're willing to keep increasing the amount you drop in

When I first started caring for my pool using the TFP method I tested with FAS-DPD every day or every other day. This was in effort to understand exactly what my pool demanded. After the first season I could see obvious patterns depending on usage, weather, solar cover on or off, etc. Now I know my pool well enough to only test once a week or less using the FAS-DPD.

16 x 36 IG Vinyl, 20,000 gal, chlorine, built 2001
    Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter S210T
    All in with TFP , testing with tf-100

5. Back To Top    #5

So no FAS every day? That's probably why the TF-100 came with an OTO, for everyday testing. I was thinking about doing FAS-DPD weekly, and OTO daily, but I may not even do daily tests.

Good to hear what others are doing.
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

6. Back To Top    #6

I should add that I maintain a CYA level of 30 which requires a chlorine level within the range of the OTO tester. If your CYA is at a level that requires a chlorine level higher than 5 it would be wise to test with the FAS-DPD more often than weekly

16 x 36 IG Vinyl, 20,000 gal, chlorine, built 2001
    Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump
    Hayward Pro Series sand filter S210T
    All in with TFP , testing with tf-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Operating with CYA of 30-50 it's pretty easy with the OTO for daily testing. If it's 5 or "more yellow" no need to add. If it's less yellow than 5 it's a ballpark of whether it's 3 or 3.5 or 4 so I'll bump it up 2-3 FC.

Saturday is FAS-DPD day.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 26venus View Post
    I should add that I maintain a CYA level of 30 which requires a chlorine level within the range of the OTO tester. If your CYA is at a level that requires a chlorine level higher than 5 it would be wise to test with the FAS-DPD more often than weekly
    You can tell by how dark of a yellow it is. I can usually tell when it is 6 or 7 ppm.
    Bobby (my pool)

9. Back To Top    #9

I have never used the OTO chlorine test due to my sky high CYA and stupid amounts of FC I had to keep. I've finally beaten the CYA down to a level that I can almost use the OTO test, but now the Sample Sizer and SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer are so fun to use I just end up doing the FAS/DPD. Now, I admit that with my Stenner pump I generally only test every other day.

As other have said, most pool companies don't understand or care about your CYA level.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

I find it hard to match colors and much easier to determine when the pink disappears. So I hardly ever use the OTO test.
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yup! Me too!! Ditto the SpeedStir!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter