Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump, sand filter, cartridge, return?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump, sand filter, cartridge, return?

my pool is 2 month new, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to install a sand filter in front of my cartridge filter. I have access to a 300 pound 24" sand filter.
    18 x 32 Hydrazzo
    Pentair Wisperflo WFE-3
    Hayward Pro Series 24 sand filter feeding a Hayward C1200 Star Clear Plus Filter
    Circupool RJ60 Salt system

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump, sand filter, cartridge, return?

I always thought about that to appease the "cartridge filter collects the finer debris" crowd. My idea was a Sand Filter followed by a little cartridge the size of those old Jandy Energy Filters. But all of my pools with Sand Filters alone are crystal clear, so never really had the desire to pursue it.
    2013 20x40 Vinyl Ingound Pool. 30K Gallons. Hayward Aqua Rite Chlorine Generator. Hayward C-3030 Cartridge Filter. 1.5 HP Pentair Pump. Pentair Magic Stream II Deck Jets. Pool Automation=Allen-Bradley PLC 5/04. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

TFP is generally sort of a minimalist group.......if you don't need it, don't do it. One correctly sized filter is all you need.

But all of my pools with Sand Filters alone are crystal clear, so never really had the desire to pursue it.
    So nice to see that post. It is amazing to me how many people on our forum think their murky water is because of a sand filter...........it is just not the case.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

For debris smaller than what a sand filter can normally capture (e.g. some dead algae), you can always add a little DE to the filter. But hopefully, you never get algae.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater