Black algae every year

glewis29

Gold Supporter
Mar 10, 2014
So Cal
I've had black algae in my pool for as long as I can remember. Every year, when the water gets cold, it goes away, and every year, when the water warms up, it has come back (before using correct FC levels).

If I make sure my FC never dips below target levels for my CYA, will the black algae be able to come back next year? I know black algae is resistant to FC unless you scrub off the head, but does this apply to a resurgence from established roots as a rite of spring?

If people think proper FC levels will keep it from coming back I won't waste my time chasing it this year as it's the least of my problems with an infant and a toddler running around my house.

Thanks.

Proper FC levels should keep it from coming back. My pool has the same issue due to a very silly moss rock configuration. If I don't stay on top of it in a few key areas with brushing and I let the CL tank run dry for a couple of days I get little black dots all over the pool. As long as the FC is good I don't have any issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.