Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black algae every year

1. Back To Top    #1

Black algae every year

I've had black algae in my pool for as long as I can remember. Every year, when the water gets cold, it goes away, and every year, when the water warms up, it has come back (before using correct FC levels).

If I make sure my FC never dips below target levels for my CYA, will the black algae be able to come back next year? I know black algae is resistant to FC unless you scrub off the head, but does this apply to a resurgence from established roots as a rite of spring?

If people think proper FC levels will keep it from coming back I won't waste my time chasing it this year as it's the least of my problems with an infant and a toddler running around my house.

Thanks.
    20K gal, IG pitted plaster (down to gunite in spots), 1/2 & 1 HP Hayward 2600 Super Pump, 36 sq ft Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, Liquidator C201, Jandy 300k Heater, Baracuda G3 suction pool cleaner, attached spa with 3 air intakes and 6" waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black algae every year

Proper FC levels should keep it from coming back. My pool has the same issue due to a very silly moss rock configuration. If I don't stay on top of it in a few key areas with brushing and I let the CL tank run dry for a couple of days I get little black dots all over the pool. As long as the FC is good I don't have any issues.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Black algae every year

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be running a Liquidator, so hopefully I should be able to stay above the min recommended level next year without too much trouble.
    20K gal, IG pitted plaster (down to gunite in spots), 1/2 & 1 HP Hayward 2600 Super Pump, 36 sq ft Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, Liquidator C201, Jandy 300k Heater, Baracuda G3 suction pool cleaner, attached spa with 3 air intakes and 6" waterfall