Second day of guniting. Are these practices the norm?

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

I was informed that the gunite team digs holes in the lowest part of the pool to allow water to drain in the event of a huge rain to prevent a floating pool...what bothered me was when the guy was digging out the holes, if he hit a "cross" of rebar that did not allow him to go down far enough, he just took the removed gunite and dropped in back into the hole and did not compress any of the loose material. Is this a concern?

Lastly, it was obvious that when the bobcat finished up, they could not backfill the path they used to go in-and-out while digging. When they gunited, they used "peg-board" w 1x4 as backing to gunite this portion of the pool. It is also where they are throwing/dumping all the loose gunite. Is this a good or standard practice? When this hardens, it is going to be 5-6 ft wide and 3-4 ft deep/thick. Do I want this mass of concrete in my yard? This area will eventually have travertine pavers over it w a 10" sub-base, but how will heavy rains impact this and surrounding areas for drainage?

Should I ask the pool builder to jack hammer, remove and backfill w dirt? I have not spoken to him yet, but I feel this needs to be addressed? Yes or no.

Thank you for your feedback on all.

Regards,
tstex

The practice of drilling the pool is common. Not compressing the returned material would not concern me as long as the thickness of the poured material is the same.

I don't understand the second issue. Do you have pictures?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.