Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Second day of guniting. Are these practices the norm?

1. Back To Top    #1

Second day of guniting. Are these practices the norm?

Hello to all,

I was informed that the gunite team digs holes in the lowest part of the pool to allow water to drain in the event of a huge rain to prevent a floating pool...what bothered me was when the guy was digging out the holes, if he hit a "cross" of rebar that did not allow him to go down far enough, he just took the removed gunite and dropped in back into the hole and did not compress any of the loose material. Is this a concern?

Lastly, it was obvious that when the bobcat finished up, they could not backfill the path they used to go in-and-out while digging. When they gunited, they used "peg-board" w 1x4 as backing to gunite this portion of the pool. It is also where they are throwing/dumping all the loose gunite. Is this a good or standard practice? When this hardens, it is going to be 5-6 ft wide and 3-4 ft deep/thick. Do I want this mass of concrete in my yard? This area will eventually have travertine pavers over it w a 10" sub-base, but how will heavy rains impact this and surrounding areas for drainage?

Should I ask the pool builder to jack hammer, remove and backfill w dirt? I have not spoken to him yet, but I feel this needs to be addressed? Yes or no.

Thank you for your feedback on all.

Regards,
    tstex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Second day of guniting. Are these practices the norm?

The practice of drilling the pool is common. Not compressing the returned material would not concern me as long as the thickness of the poured material is the same.

I don't understand the second issue. Do you have pictures?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

The Op is complaining that the excess gunite was tossed into the void created by the skidsteer ramp. I'd say it's pretty standard behavior. Otherwise other fill material would have to brought in.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

4. Back To Top    #4

Agreed.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!