New owner thanks! (and question)

mikech

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 13, 2014
Seminole, FL
I decided to maintain the pool after buying our first house in Seminole, FL. No experience at all (especially as I come from over the pond where pools are not common!). Before we closed, I came across TFP, and read everything I could, ordered the Taylor K-2006 kit, and waited to move in. When we took possession, we were disappointed to find the pool was on the way to being a green swamp! Undaunted and following the advice on this great forum, I got it crystal clear in just over a week and have kept the chemistry pretty stable and the pool algae free since using only chorine and muriatic acid so far (just over a month now). The CYA was well over 100 when we took it over, I have brought it down to 70 but will probably end up around 60. TFP School really works, SLAM worked for me, Pool Math is a fantastic tool, and thanks to all the contributors. Becoming a supporter will be my next 'post'. Pool before and after pictures are attached (I hope).

I do have a question as well though. We've just had some severe tree pruning which caused a large amount of sawdust to come through the lanai and into the pool. I ran the pump 24hrs and let the Zodiac T5 clear most of it, but can I expect rapidly reducing FC levels as the sawdust is organic? Should I shock as a preventative measure? Pruning would have introduced algal contamination from the tree limbs I guess as well. I've been maintaining at FC 8.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 40
Welcome to TFP. :wave: I would keep a close eye on your FC levels and try to stay at the high end of normal for a few days. No need to SLAM unless you let the FC drop and start to see green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.