Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New owner thanks! (and question)

1. Back To Top    #1

Seminole, FL

New owner thanks! (and question)

I decided to maintain the pool after buying our first house in Seminole, FL. No experience at all (especially as I come from over the pond where pools are not common!). Before we closed, I came across TFP, and read everything I could, ordered the Taylor K-2006 kit, and waited to move in. When we took possession, we were disappointed to find the pool was on the way to being a green swamp! Undaunted and following the advice on this great forum, I got it crystal clear in just over a week and have kept the chemistry pretty stable and the pool algae free since using only chorine and muriatic acid so far (just over a month now). The CYA was well over 100 when we took it over, I have brought it down to 70 but will probably end up around 60. TFP School really works, SLAM worked for me, Pool Math is a fantastic tool, and thanks to all the contributors. Becoming a supporter will be my next 'post'. Pool before and after pictures are attached (I hope).

I do have a question as well though. We've just had some severe tree pruning which caused a large amount of sawdust to come through the lanai and into the pool. I ran the pump 24hrs and let the Zodiac T5 clear most of it, but can I expect rapidly reducing FC levels as the sawdust is organic? Should I shock as a preventative measure? Pruning would have introduced algal contamination from the tree limbs I guess as well. I've been maintaining at FC 8.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (72.6 KB, 40 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (79.7 KB, 40 views)
    Built 1980, 19' x 30' almost rectangular, screened 15,000 gal, plaster, Hayward DE 3620 filter (currently using cellulose), Emerson 1081 1HP pump, AquaCal Heatwave SuperQuiet SQ110R heater, Zodiac T5 Cleaner, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston, TX

Re: New owner thanks! (and question)

Welcome to TFP. I would keep a close eye on your FC levels and try to stay at the high end of normal for a few days. No need to SLAM unless you let the FC drop and start to see green.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit