Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: algae

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Irmo, SC
    Posts
    37

    algae

    My husband and I went away for ten days and had my brother add chlorine to the pool while we were gone. I forgot to tell him to also backwash, so by the time we returned, the water wasn't circulating. The pool was still clear, but there was brownish algae creeping across the floor. I backwashed and shocked and it went away. We've had a lot of rain recently, and I accidentally let the chlorine level fall pretty low a few days ago. The algae is back. Water is still clear, though not sparkly. I brought it up to 12, which is the shock level based on our 30 CYA.

    My question is, can I let the kids swim in it? From what I gathered from other posts, it's okay to swim if you can see the bottom and the FC is below shock level and PH is in range. So once it falls to 11 they can swim, even with the algae continuing to grow on the bottom? (I vacuumed it up this morning, but feel certain it will grow back.)

    Also, I am not 100% sure of my CYA reading since the test is a little subjective. It could be 20 instead of 30. Would that mean I need to let the FC fall to 9 to let them swim just in case? Not sure how dangerous swimming above shock level is.

    Thank you for any input!
    12500; sand; IG; vinyl; Tf-100 test kit

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad tim5055's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    8,495

    Re: algae

    Quote Originally Posted by 302harrison View Post
    My question is, can I let the kids swim in it? From what I gathered from other posts, it's okay to swim if you can see the bottom and the FC is below shock level and PH is in range. So once it falls to 11 they can swim, even with the algae continuing to grow on the bottom? (I vacuumed it up this morning, but feel certain it will grow back.)

    Also, I am not 100% sure of my CYA reading since the test is a little subjective. It could be 20 instead of 30. Would that mean I need to let the FC fall to 9 to let them swim just in case? Not sure how dangerous swimming above shock level is.
    To be honest, if it is just a little above shock level it is really more damaging to their swimsuits than them. That is if they don't have any skin issues, then it may cause irritation.

    Now, it would actually be best to conduct a full SLAM to make sure all the little buggers are dead.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •