White Flakes in Pool

Findog

May 1, 2014
Chico
I have a 24000 gallon salt water in ground pool. It is just over a year old and for the last 3 months I have been dealing with A LOT of white flakes that are discharged from the salt cell. I have cleaned the cell every month (when in use) per manufacturers instructions but that only keeps the flakes away for about 2 days at the most. I have had my water tested by the local pool store (leslies and Holiday Pools) and all of my levels are within range. I recently purchased the Taylor K-2006 kit and below are my latest levels.

FC - 5.5
Alk - 100
PH - 7.4
CYA - 48
CH - 240
Salt - 3200
Phosphates - 1500?

The pool runs about 85 degrees and I am located in Northern California. I get some staining on the rocks around the waterfall but nothing to extreme. My frustration lies with the white flakes. When I clean out my pool sweep the bag is quite full and they are all over the bottom of the pool. Is there something wrong with the cell (its a Pentair IC40) Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Welcome to TFP Jason,

What we often see, is that Pool Store testing isn't always so accurate. Your problem is often a pH (high) issue and I would suggest very strongly that you acquire your own test kit to check this yourself. Just as importantly, the best thing you can do is educate yourself on Pool Chemistry, even if it's just the basics. Knowledge is our cornerstone and Pool care becomes very easy once you have the basics down.

Start with the ABC's and work on the other articles as you can absorb the material. Ask questions here in the forum if you have them, We are always willing to help those trying to learn. Daunting at first sometimes, but it really is very easy once you gain a little understanding. You can click the links in my sig to find the information I'm suggesting, including test kits. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Phosphates are meaningless in a properly Chlorinated Pool. Phosphates are food for Algae, but if there is no living Algae, it cannot eat the Phosphates. In a properly Chlorinated pool, there will be no living Algae. It is that simple.

I had white flakes on the surface of my pool this spring after I installed my swg. They weren't anything that would be picked up off the floor of the pool and trying to net them from the surface wouldn't work either--they just disintegrated upon touch. I found that when they showed up the next morning, they disappeared all by themselves. That went on for about 3-4 days and haven't been seen since. At first I was told it was pollen, but then others confirmed it was because the swg was self cleaning. I stopped worrying about it.

I had white flakes on the surface of my pool this spring after I installed my swg. They weren't anything that would be picked up off the floor of the pool and trying to net them from the surface wouldn't work either--they just disintegrated upon touch. I found that when they showed up the next morning, they disappeared all by themselves. That went on for about 3-4 days and haven't been seen since. At first I was told it was pollen, but then others confirmed it was because the swg was self cleaning. I stopped worrying about it.

Mine never floated, always suspended in the water. Also They have increased somewhat over time. I think that is a good thing about a vinyl liner, your ch level can be o if possible, which would eliminate the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.