Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pvc fittings pushes back when using blue cement

1. Back To Top    #1

pvc fittings pushes back when using blue cement

HI,

I am working in a new 1.5 manifold for my 3 suction lines. In the process I am having difficulty with the elbow sweeps gluing to the sweep fittings. The main problems is that the sweeps would not glue properly as they push back as I am trying to hold them in place. For some reason, there is a lot of push back pressure from the fittings to the pipes. Do you happen to know how to solve this pressure problem? Can any one help me understand why this is happening? Since I am installing the Jandy valves to the sweeps I truly do not want to make a mistake because due to my limited space I do not want to ruin the valves in the process.

Please advice,
    G.

a
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pvc fittings pushes back when using blue cement

Apply the primer, apply the glue put the pieces together and twist 1/4 turn and hold on and push them back together for about 15 seconds before you let go.

It pushes back because of chemiacal reaction between the glue and the pvc. That glue is not just an adhesive. Its similar to welding the pvc.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Apply the primer, apply the glue put the pieces together and twist 1/4 turn and hold on and push them back together for about 15 seconds before you let go.

It pushes back because of chemiacal reaction between the glue and the pvc. That glue is not just an adhesive. Its similar to welding the pvc.
    +1 ... Although I tend to hold them for way too long. No wonder my arms hurt after some PVC DYI. I also instead twist slightly while pushing together and stop twisting when the piece bottoms out in the fitting.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me so very fast. The method you describe is the exact method I used to weld my joints. However, when pushing down in to the pipe the fittings would put an incredible resistance force? It was like someone is forcing air against my fittings.

G/
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the valves aren't open when you glue and assemble it will happen, there's nowhere for the air pressure to go.
    16 x 36 inground vinyl w/ covered steps. 9 1/2 ft deep end w/ diving board. 27,000 gal.
    PacFab Challenger 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump, Pureflo 300 lb sand filter, Pentair chlorine feeder
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 return lines and NO LEAKS "knock on wood" LOL.