New Pool Water

New to TFPC. My pool is 20 years old, and after 20 years of using tabs and powder with stabilizer, the CYA and CH levels in the water were off the chart! Could not control mustard algae, and finally bit the bullet and had the pool drained and scrubbed with bleach by a local pool company. Did not want to fill from my well, as we are in a drought situation, so had water trucked in from a local bulk water distributer.

I took a sample of the new water to the pool store (Leslie’s) for testing, and followed their recommendations for amounts of baking soda, calcium hardness increaser, and CYA to add to reach a good starting point. Now, no more pool store chemicals for me! I will be following the TFPC method from now on. I used the Pool Math calculator and the chlorine/CYA chart and added the recommended amount of bleach.

The water looks and feels great. Latest test results are as follows:
FC 2
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 200
CYA 30

My first question is: how often do I need to add bleach (daily?) and how much bleach do I need to add to maintain the proper FC level? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Some other general info that might be pertinent: We normally have very hot summers here in central Texas. It has been milder than usual this summer in the greater Austin area, with no 100 degree days until August. My pool is shaded by large trees from hot late afternoon sun.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Thanks for filling out your location and signature :goodjob:

It is normal to have to add bleach daily. You need to add enough so that it does not drop below the minimum for your CYA level. Unfortunately, your FC is too low right now according to the FC/CYA Chart.

I highly recommend you get one of the Recommended Test Kits the chlorine test in the Poolmaster is not going to cut it and pool store testing is horrendous.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.