Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Diatomaceous Earth

1. Back To Top    #1

Diatomaceous Earth

I saw DE sold as a bug killer at Home Depot. Is this the same stuff used in pool filters? Just curious, I have not been able to find this with the regular pool stuff at other places and would like to add some to my sand filter.
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Diatomaceous Earth

I know almost nothing (yet!) about my pool, so take this with a grain of salt, but my understanding is that the "pool grade" DE is thermally treated ("calcinated") in a way that crystalizes it to make a good filter material, but also makes it dangerous to eat/breathe/etc, and probably not effective as a bug killer. You want to use "food grade" for almost all purposes other than in a pool filter (where I suspect food grade would not be effective)
    21000gal IG plaster, Sacramento CA area (late 1950s/early 60s)
    Filter: Cartridge, Pentair CCP420 (2014)
    Main pump: Pentair IntelliFlo VS (2015)
    Boost pump: 3/4hp (2011), Polaris 280 cleaner (unknown age)

3. Back To Top    #3

jmastron is correct. Pool DE is not the same as the food or bug DE. And you must use the pool DE in your filter. You could also look for the cellulose alternative if you can not find the pool DE (which is surprising).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post
    I saw DE sold as a bug killer at Home Depot. Is this the same stuff used in pool filters? Just curious, I have not been able to find this with the regular pool stuff at other places and would like to add some to my sand filter.
    I just bought 25# of Pooltime DE from Home Depot for $20 - ordered it online and picked it up a few days later at the store.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a good idea, I may have to do the ship to store thing. I have never been to a pool store and didn't want to go for this as I am afraid they may try and turn me over to the dark side. Thanks
    21,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, TF100 test kit, pool is about 15 years old.
    new in 2016 - Hayward SWCG with T15 cell