Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replaced sand and laterals

1. Back To Top    #1

Alberta, Canada

Replaced sand and laterals

Because we were having more and more issues with clarity in the pool and seeing some fine sand in the bottom of the pool, we decided to try replacing the sand and the laterals.
    First, let me say, it's a job and a half to get all that stinking sand out of

Took 2 of us about 2 1/2 hours start to finish.

Anyway, we had had a "pool guy" replace the sand when we first bought the place 9 years ago. Now I had cleaned the sand in the filter pretty much every year but never having seen "filter" sand before, it never occurred to me that it was the wrong sand.

After getting it all out, we started adding the filter sand and it was very apparent that what we had in the filter was more like a playground sand.
    With in 2 days of changing it out, we are seeing better clarity. Hopefully it continues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: Replaced sand and laterals

That's exactly why when mine needed laterals (it was installed in 1989) I just replaced the whole thing. Cut the top off with a Sawzall, then shoveled it out. Sure was a lot easier.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!