We bought a house this summer with an above ground pool.
The liner was totally jacked, so we replaced it (FUN!!)
We filled the pool with our garden hose. At the time, we had straight well water, no softener or purifier system.
We had no clue what we were doing, and just went by the internet and what the local pool store told us.
I added chlorine and stabilizer that I bought at a big box store. Water was clear, but turned green then tea brown.
Pool store sold us metal-out
that seemed to work, but then we had an algae bloom. SO we added algicide.
I read your website and went to the pool store (i had a return to make) and looked for a test kit. The lady convinced me to bring some water in and I did because they only sell test strips and a cheapo $10 kit.
WHen i brought my sample in, it was super high phosphates. SO she sold me $70 phosphate clear. she told me that aside from feeding the algae, the phosphates can cause green water (??) and to bring back a sample in 2 days. She also told me that high phosphates will cause my chlorine reading to be zero on my test strips. I have totally lost trust in this woman because she said to work on phosphates first, then any remaining algae. But then when i got home i read the bottle and it says in big red letters, to treat algae first!
I have a sinking feeling that the algicide is adding metals back in, and the metal out is adding phosphates. so the problem is feeding itself. Am I right?
Also, last week, out of desperation to get chlorine levels up, i bought a chlorine tablet and floater system. Today, I have pulled that out. I also have a big test kit on order (one that you recommend)
Do I need to resign myself to just draining and starting over? I've already spent close to $200 in just chems for this pool that we have gotten in THREE TIMES.