Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae on grout

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae on grout

I have been maintaining the chemical balance for over a year now with pretty good success thanks to this site and a TFT kit except for 1 recurring issue, green and black algae on the tile grout at the top of the pool. About a month ago we scrubbed it all away and now its back. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae on grout

It's probably because it doesn't stay submerged in the chlorinated water. I get a little bit also.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Do us a favor and add your pool specifics to your signature.

Do you use an SWG for chlorine source? If so, are you targeting FC of 3? I had this problem when I kept my FC at 3, and found that FC was dropping below the minimum, especially at the water line. I have bumped my target up to 5-6, and haven't had the problem since.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Try changing your return jet pattern toward problem areas.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

5. Back To Top    #5

I will try to bump up the levels to 5-6. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

A couple of canon ball jumps every week will help get the chlorine splashed up on the tile above the waterline. I have a 6 year old that does it for me
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System