Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello All

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello All

I just joined TFP, but have been browsing for some time. I'm located in Friendswood, TX. Looks like there are lots of Texas and Houston area people here!

We're in the process of building our first pool. I've never owned a pool before (grew up with one, but never owned/operated one).

We signed our contract in mid-May, dug June 20, and I figure we are probably 3 to 4 weeks away from being complete. We've got our landscaping plants purchased and awaiting installation once construction is done. I'm ready to not have a clay mud pit outside my backdoor!!

The next step will be a very basic outdoor kitchen - really more just a grill island. I look forward to pestering people here with questions once we start the equipment up!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello All

Welcome to TFP!!! and congratulations on getting a pool

Now is the time to start reading Pool School to learn about the chemistry, begin with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And of course get one of the Recommended Test Kits ordered so you have it before the pool is filled.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to the forum fellow Texan!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome,

We can always use more Texans.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the links. I'm ordering a test kit today!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome. I'll start up a construction thread and post some pictures when I get a chance. I am really crossing my fingers that we'll be done in the next 2 weeks.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just got my TF-100 test kit. Is there any reason to test my fill water before we fill the pool up? What would I be test for? Calcium hardness, pH, something else?
    ~18,000 IG/Spa chlorine, Blue Granite Pebblesheen
    Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed Tri-Star Pump, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    400K BTU Heater, LED Lights, PS8 Automation
    Build thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...s-Houston-area

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by CusePool View Post
    I just got my TF-100 test kit. Is there any reason to test my fill water before we fill the pool up? What would I be test for? Calcium hardness, pH, something else?

Heck yes! Test your fill water for two reasons. First it gets you used to performing the tests with confidence. Second it lets you know where your water chemistry is starting out. Test the fill water for pH, CH, TA. Not really necessary to test for CYA (there should be none in all sources other than pool water) and FC/CC should be very minimal compared to pool levels. Make sure you test water that has not been softened. If you're using your own well or city water, collect cold water after it has been running for several minutes in a clean container.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

OK thanks, I'll try it this weekend.
    Hayward 1.5hp 2-speed Tri-Star Pump, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

OK I tested the fill water. Here's what I got:

Chlorine = zero (no color change in the tester)
    pH = 7.2
    CH = 125 ppm
    TA = 90

10. Back To Top    #10

"The stars at night are big and bright ~clap - clap - clap - clap~ deep in the heart of Texas"

Those numbers look pretty dog gone good Is the fill water municipal or well water?

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there anyone in Texas that does not have a pool???

Welcome!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

The Governor, he has two pools.

Greetings CusePool.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

13. Back To Top    #13

Some people here do not have pools, but IMO in general, those folks came from up North and are not yet considered to be Texans.

Lots and lots and lots of reasons for Texans to have a pool. Below is just a few examples, there are many more, and its a family forum, so.... for starters.
    1. It's very hot here in Spring Time .
    2. Its very very hot here in summer.
    3. It's very very very hot here in late summer - such as now.
    4. Us Texans are generally friendly folks and we like to invite our friends to have some pool fun.
    5. We like to cook out and need a pool in order to do a proper Texan cook out - with friends of course.

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post

Welcome!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    "The stars at night are big and bright ~clap - clap - clap - clap~ deep in the heart of Texas"

Those numbers look pretty dog gone good Is the fill water municipal or well water?

Welcome to the forum
    That is city water. I even tested it after coming through the hose I will use for the fill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post

Welcome!
    Just me, for another week or so, then it will be everybody! Thanks for the welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by one_knight4u View Post
    The Governor, he has two pools.

Greetings CusePool.
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Some people here do not have pools, but IMO in general, those folks came from up North and are not yet considered to be Texans.

Lots and lots and lots of reasons for Texans to have a pool. Below is just a few examples, there are many more, and its a family forum, so.... for starters.
    1. It's very hot here in Spring Time .
    2. Its very very hot here in summer.
    3. It's very very very hot here in late summer - such as now.
    4. Us Texans are generally friendly folks and we like to invite our friends to have some pool fun.
    5. We like to cook out and need a pool in order to do a proper Texan cook out - with friends of course.
    Concur with all. We should have a good two plus months of hot swimming weather left by the time we get done.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by CusePool View Post

Concur with all. We should have a good two plus months of hot swimming weather left by the time we get done.

Very jealous of your swim season! Mine is coming to a close within the next 3-4 weeks. I will have to live vicariously through Texans. Hope your install goes well!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump