Borates testing after boric acid addition

Jun 19, 2014
Edmond, Oklahoma
The thread on adding Borax+Muriatic acid recommends waiting 48 hrs before testing for borates. I have, however, decided to go the boric acid route.

Got my shipment from Duda Diesel last night. I have a question about testing once I add the acid. Can I test immediately, or is it similar to adding them with borax, i.e., I'd need to wait 48 hrs for them to register on the Lamotte strips?

I am a relatively new owner and am still learning how my pool reacts with chemical additions, vs. the expected results from Poolmath. I have overshot a couple of chemical changes and have since taken to making my adjustments in a couple of smaller stages rather than all at once. I usually add half of what I expect to need for a given chemical, test, then determine if I want to go with the second half as is, or adjust my second addition slightly.

Pool math says I need roughly 29 lbs. of boric acid to get to 50 ppm for my pool. Ideally, I'd like to add in 2 stages as well.

Would I need to add, wait 48 hrs. then test? Or since I'm adding boric acid instead of Borax, will a test be accurate once the crystals have dissolved and the pool recirculates for a couple of hrs.?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.