Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will a waterfall help as a pool cooler?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will a waterfall help as a pool cooler?

First post, I'd like to thank whoever is responsible for this forum it is certainly priceless, just wished I had found 5 years ago when I owned my first pool.

We have moved from VA to Houston TX and are getting pricing for our new IG pool. Now that we are in Texas I'm concerned with the water temps I don't like a hot pool and I've researched all the pool coolers, my question is will the waterfalls or shear descents act a a cooler to any degree? Secondly I like the little aerator I think it's less obtrusive on the pools view , I'm thinking it may be advantageous to get the piping installed during the build with it's own valve and connect it to my controller as it's own water feature. I appreciate any thoughts on this, thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will a waterfall help as a pool cooler?

It might help some, but a fountain with a mist would probally do a better job due to the evaporation cooling effect. Solar? You can run it at night for cooling.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. Whatever pool cooler you end up with, think of them as an evaporator rather than simply transferring the heat from pool water to air.

It is the evaporative process (day or night) which makes pool coolers so VERY effective (and inexpensive)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

A big box fan blowing across the pool would help too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

This aerator works nicely. I would recommend at least 2 of them (and maybe more, depending on if you have any shade or not).

Quote Originally Posted by greenhorn31 View Post
    First post, I'd like to thank whoever is responsible for this forum it is certainly priceless, just wished I had found 5 years ago when I owned my first pool.

We have moved from VA to Houston TX and are getting pricing for our new IG pool. Now that we are in Texas I'm concerned with the water temps I don't like a hot pool and I've researched all the pool coolers, my question is will the waterfalls or shear descents act a a cooler to any degree? Secondly I like the little aerator I think it's less obtrusive on the pools view , I'm thinking it may be advantageous to get the piping installed during the build with it's own valve and connect it to my controller as it's own water feature. I appreciate any thoughts on this, thanks in advance.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!