Love all kinds of mustard but not the algae. Add me to the list....

JGDUSC

Jun 10, 2013
Gilbert SC
First saw it a couple weeks ago after wife cut my "grass" thought it was just some dirt. Vacuumed up but probably wasn't as diligent in backwashing as I should have been. When it returned, thought it was dirt so pulled the sand filter apart but no issues there. Vacuumed a couple more times, and would go away for a day or so but then back and noticed the water wasn't as sparkly. Should have came back to the forum sooner instead of just vacuuming up thinking it would go away. Duh

Had a crystal clear year last year and up to about 9 days ago, but guess I got a little arrogant since the numbers never seemed to change this year with exception of chlorine. Was usin the swag method on amounts, but not any more. Back to the TF-100 Started slamming last night and saw a OCLT of 6.

Didnt see the part about reducing the pH until this am. Should I drop some acid in now? Since the pH test isn't valid how much? Running pump non stop. Vaccumed all up last night. Backwashed Rinsed and filled pool. Took FC to 16 at 9pm. At 4am brushed the pool, and tested. FC was down to 12. Two gallons in based on the calculator. Look forward to seeing what it is this afternoon while sweatin and brushing.

Almost forgot
pH way up was 7.5
TA 70
CYA 45
CC .5

Thanks

IMG_5518 (2).jpg

Last edited:
When the FC is raised to SLAM levels, the pH always reads high. If your pH was 7.5 just before you started the SLAM, there is no need to worry. Your pH test will be accurate again once you are done with SLAM and the FC levels drop back down to normal.

Bought to conduct what I hope to be a passing OCLT. Plenty of bleach ready for the mustard level leg. Pool looks much better and almost has that sparkle back.

Reread the borates thing again. May give em a shot after reading it can help with reduced chlorine usage and algae prevention. Asked one time before and was lead to believe not necessary. Just figured I would throw it out there again.

Follow up

Followed the process until OCLT was passed. Brought up the level brushed and soaked everything. Jumped in to pull out soaking stuff and closely inspect after 24 hrs. Noticed some tiny little creases with a little algae in them. Didn't have time to vacuum so brushed quickly and hoped the filter would catch. Was heading out of town. Little disappointed so I pumped two more gallons 8.25 just to keep it up while gone for two. Came home. Pool sparkly but a few spots again. FC was 16. Jumped in. Vacuumed for hour clean as a whistle. Back wash and rinse. Passed OCLT again last night. Came home today. FC at 9 jumped in to see several more spots of algae in creases. Could the filter be missing this. Need to run pump more? Some DE? Or am I growing again and a failure at testing? Was about to adjust pH and TA (7.2 and 60) but maybe I should start pumping it again. Thanks!

I tried vacuuming to waste. Just to make sure it didn't have a chance to make it back in pool. Looks like several others are in the same boat as me. Passing tests but still seeing small deposits. Anyone know if this is normal? Are we asking the wrong questions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Still passin all the tests. The pool looks as clear as ever but something is still in there. Vacuumed the pool yesterday. Spotless. Was excited to come home and see what it looked like. Have to look hard but it's there. I dive down for closer inspection hoping its dirt but not one bit of grit. A quick rub and it's whisked away.

Not sure what to do. Think I am gonna maintain the regular level through the weekend then start slamming again on Sunday. Temps gonna be at seasons highest the next few days and don't want the kids in elevated levels for to long.

Just weird to pass all three tests and still have something growin. Thanks for sticking in there with me. Seems to be a theme. Couple others in same situation but not a lot of info.

I would love to be able to increase the circulation. Not exactly sure how to do it as I only have 1 eyeball and pool is 30ft long. Absolutely possible it could be poor circulation. Not sure if I just need to run pump longer. Last year was running around 8 hours a day but after reading more here I concluded that I was wasting energy. Went from two 4 hour sessions am and pm to two 2.5 hours approx. Not sure if there is some sort of dye that would help visualize this but haven't heard of anything. I manually vacuum the pool when needed but maybe its time to invest in an automatic one that will help circulate the water more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.