Panzer

Jun 2, 2009
South Chicago burbs
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thought I'd put this out there... was working very long days for about a week. Asked the nephew to watch the pool while I was unable.
UNFORTUNATELY he got carried away/ mistook the the Muriatic Acid for the Liquid Chlorine.

Bottom line... dropped my pH into the 5 range for a week. Put the nail in the coffin of my 10 yr old heater.
So now I know that I have a LOT of Copper in the pool. Sheen on the surface, blue-green coloring on skimmer sock, etc... even have what I believe is a "mass" of semi-solid material in the center of the pool on the bottom.

So... What's my best option for removing it? I've got the pH at 7.2, FC=3ppm, TA=90, CYA=70
Pulling the Nature 2 out as I believe the cartridge was damaged as well due to the acidic conditions.

Got a new heater ready for install but, before I do I'd like to have the whole pool clean and ready.

Thanks for any advice.
Respectfully,

Well it has nothing to do with your problem but if your CYA is up at 70 you're well below the recommended FC level. From the chart you should be keeping a daily maintenance level of 8ppm FC and never below 5 to keep it clear and sanitary. :lookhere: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Cut and paste from JasonLion, site administrator: "Nature2 adds metals to the water, which help prevent the growth of algae. However, effective levels of metals are also prone to causing unsightly stains, and chlorine alone takes care of algae just fine with minimal effort. We strongly recommend against any system that adds metals to the water.

Nature2 is usually installed for free by the builder, who often gets paid by the Nature2 people to install it in the hope that the new pool owner will spend lots of money on replacement cartridges."

Good article explaining "metal ion" and "mineral" systems. http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...s-and-quot-chemical-free-quot-pools-The-Truth!
You might want to leave that Nature 2 cartridge out.

I haven't run into a problem like this so hopefully one of the guys with more water chemistry experience will be coming along. Sorry for your loss :(

Yeah... the Nature 2 isn't the issue. Well aware of what some think of it.
Unfortunately the low pH contributed to it getting whacked as well.

I've seen the article and if folks would use the mineral sanitizers as a suppliment (not a replacement) to their water treatment regimen then everything would be fine.
Respectfully,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.