Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward DE filter

I've been getting a lot of DE in the pool and whenever I vacuum it up I see clouds of DE from the return. It's been gradually getting worse. Thoughts on whether it's time to replace the grids or if it's something else?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward DE filter

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Sounds like it is time to open up the filter and inspect things ....
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

+1 on opening up the filter. I's time to inspect to see IF it's the grids. If no damage is detected it would be a good time to soak them overnight and do a through cleaning.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yo Frog, soak them in what? I'll kiss them if it'll make the pool cleaner.....

5. Back To Top    #5

this was happening to mine and my grids were cracked
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az

6. Back To Top    #6

I just soaked my Hayward DE filter grid for the first time, and found the information here to be helpful for the general cleaning part:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...aning-Tutorial

And for the soaking go here:

Also if you soak them be sure you have something you can totally submerse them in like a plastic trash can. I didn't think about that until I got to that step and had to hunt around and clean out our recycling can! Also be prepared to get wet & dirty, it's a messy job!
    Java - Learning that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!- Houston Tx - 22,000 gallon IG gunite pool running a DE Hayward filter DE-4800 (48SQFT 96 GPM), Hayward Vari-flo multi-port valve 715XR60, Pump - Century Centurion 0-177215-04 1hp. Polaris 9400 Sport Robotic Pool Cleaner. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, a pool light, diving board. Age of pool &equipment unknown, pool age est. ~ 20-30 yrs, equipment probably newer.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I couldn't have linked it better if I did it myself Javaverses
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks kiss4afrog, just trying to give back some of the help you guys gave me!
    Java - Learning that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!- Houston Tx - 22,000 gallon IG gunite pool running a DE Hayward filter DE-4800 (48SQFT 96 GPM), Hayward Vari-flo multi-port valve 715XR60, Pump - Century Centurion 0-177215-04 1hp. Polaris 9400 Sport Robotic Pool Cleaner. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, a pool light, diving board. Age of pool &equipment unknown, pool age est. ~ 20-30 yrs, equipment probably newer.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by javaverses View Post
    I just soaked my Hayward DE filter grid for the first time, and found the information here to be helpful for the general cleaning part:

And for the soaking go here:

Also if you soak them be sure you have something you can totally submerse them in like a plastic trash can. I didn't think about that until I got to that step and had to hunt around and clean out our recycling can! Also be prepared to get wet & dirty, it's a messy job!
    Thx for the insight. Will play with it tomorrow and respond back with results. I don't see any amount of buildup in the grids which is why I suspected it was time to replace them. I've been in the house for 6 years and suspect the pool is at least 12 years old. Not sure of the age of the grids, but wondered about the lifespan. They are expensive to replace biut found these on Amazon:

http://smile.amazon.com/Hayward-Pro-...rd+pool+filter

I'd hate to pay retail at Leslie's...

10. Back To Top    #10

There are many eBay sellers for less than that. I got mine for around 130 delivered.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!