Sand filter/pump -- "pulsates"

GCS

Jul 28, 2008
Got the sand filter and plumbing all done over the last 2 days and fired it up tonight.

It leaks at the center connection where the multiport valve attaches to the "sand tank". The plastic ring with the screws/nuts are as tight as they can get and the multiport valve is sitting flat on the tank.

The tank is not 100% level but it is not completely out of line either. And when I say it leaks I mean water just sprays out with great deal of force.

BTW all valves to and from the pool are open and there is good suction out and water flow back into the pool.

Looking at the diagram I found on Hayward's site could it be the O-Ring on the Valve that is causing this leak?

Above Problem fixed

***New Problem***

Ok so I got the leak issue resolved. Now I have a new issue.

The pump/water flow pulsates now. It is pulling the water out fine and the and pumping it back in fine at full speed. Then the skimmer box acts like its "out of water" and the water coming back into the pool slows way down, then after a few seconds it picks back up to full speed and we start the routine over again.

Closing the return valve a little bit helps lengthen the "full power" part of the cycle but does not eliminate.

Any thoughts?

Greg

Re: Hayward 180T filter leaks at valve to tank connection

Is it #3 in this diagram?

Or is it the o-ring on the valve itself?

proseries18-24.jpg

If it's connected as properly as you indicate, it sounds like an o-ring is completely missing or, at the very least, badly seated.

Well my curiosity got the better of me so last night about 1am with flashlight in hand I went and checked the filter.

Low and behold NO O-Ring. Item #3 in the pic.

So as it seem that would be my problem.

Gonna call around today and see if I can find one locally (crosses fingers)!

Thanks for the confirmation fellas and nice to know that 2 days worth of plumbing work isn't down the drain either!

Greg

Greg, check the door (weir) on the skimmer to see if it's stuck in the up position :wink: Also, is there enough water in the pool to support suction (the water should be at least 1/2 way up the skimmer mouth!

Also check to be sure that the skimmer basket and pump basket isn't full of 'stuff' which would restrict the flow. If all I said isn't applicable, tell us what you find and we'll help you from there :-D

Well we added more water to the pool and got it to about 3/4 of the way up the skimmer front and she is running like a top.

Seems like one more problem solved.

I am praying that I can get the water straight soon as the kids are dying to get in.

Greg

GCS, PLEASE PLEASE take some pictures of your pool, skimmer, and equipment and post them in the Intex thread in the AG pool section, or start a new thread. I know I'm not the only one who wants to see how you did it.

Thanks,
Adam

launboy said:
GCS, PLEASE PLEASE take some pictures of your pool, skimmer, and equipment and post them in the Intex thread in the AG pool section, or start a new thread. I know I'm not the only one who wants to see how you did it.

Thanks,
Adam

Of course you are not the only one.. :mrgreen:
I would love to see it too!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.