Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter/pump -- "pulsates"

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand filter/pump -- "pulsates"

Got the sand filter and plumbing all done over the last 2 days and fired it up tonight.

It leaks at the center connection where the multiport valve attaches to the "sand tank". The plastic ring with the screws/nuts are as tight as they can get and the multiport valve is sitting flat on the tank.

The tank is not 100% level but it is not completely out of line either. And when I say it leaks I mean water just sprays out with great deal of force.

BTW all valves to and from the pool are open and there is good suction out and water flow back into the pool.

Looking at the diagram I found on Hayward's site could it be the O-Ring on the Valve that is causing this leak?

Above Problem fixed

***New Problem***

Ok so I got the leak issue resolved. Now I have a new issue.

The pump/water flow pulsates now. It is pulling the water out fine and the and pumping it back in fine at full speed. Then the skimmer box acts like its "out of water" and the water coming back into the pool slows way down, then after a few seconds it picks back up to full speed and we start the routine over again.

Closing the return valve a little bit helps lengthen the "full power" part of the cycle but does not eliminate.

Any thoughts?

Greg
    27' x 52" Round Lomart Sandstone AGP
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter 300lb
    Hayward 1HP Matrix 2 Speed pump
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward 180T filter leaks at valve to tank connection

Is it #3 in this diagram?

Or is it the o-ring on the valve itself?

Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If it's connected as properly as you indicate, it sounds like an o-ring is completely missing or, at the very least, badly seated.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Well my curiosity got the better of me so last night about 1am with flashlight in hand I went and checked the filter.

Low and behold NO O-Ring. Item #3 in the pic.

So as it seem that would be my problem.

Gonna call around today and see if I can find one locally (crosses fingers)!

Thanks for the confirmation fellas and nice to know that 2 days worth of plumbing work isn't down the drain either!

Greg
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    2" Plumbing - 50 Foot run buried 18" Deep - Widemouth skimmer and 1 return with eyeball
    Compupool CPSC24

5. Back To Top    #5

Got the O-Ring, installed it and problem fixed.

**NEW Problem listed above.

Greg
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Compupool CPSC24

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Sand filter/pump -- "pulsates"

Greg, check the door (weir) on the skimmer to see if it's stuck in the up position Also, is there enough water in the pool to support suction (the water should be at least 1/2 way up the skimmer mouth!

Also check to be sure that the skimmer basket and pump basket isn't full of 'stuff' which would restrict the flow. If all I said isn't applicable, tell us what you find and we'll help you from there
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Well we added more water to the pool and got it to about 3/4 of the way up the skimmer front and she is running like a top.

Seems like one more problem solved.

I am praying that I can get the water straight soon as the kids are dying to get in.

Greg
    ~ 18,000 Gallons
    Compupool CPSC24

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by GCS
    Seems like one more problem solved.

Greg
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

GCS, PLEASE PLEASE take some pictures of your pool, skimmer, and equipment and post them in the Intex thread in the AG pool section, or start a new thread. I know I'm not the only one who wants to see how you did it.

Thanks,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by launboy
    GCS, PLEASE PLEASE take some pictures of your pool, skimmer, and equipment and post them in the Intex thread in the AG pool section, or start a new thread. I know I'm not the only one who wants to see how you did it.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Of course you are not the only one..
    I would love to see it too!!!
    24' x52" Intex metal frame
    Pentair sand dollar SD60
    Original pump 2500gph

"5 years of BBB, and loving it"