High TA but low pH?

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
So I've read plenty of posts where people have high TA and higher pH, but I'm having the opposite.
pH 7.2
TA 150
CYA 40
Chlorine at 2 right now (will be adjusting after kids get out tonite)

I've tried to increase the pH a few times but it seems to head back down to 7.2. (peach color in my testing kit) My TA has been creeping up the past few weeks. Water is clear. Do I need to worry about the pH decreasing?

You need to worry about pH decreasing in the sense that you want keep it in the mid to high 7's (7.5 to 7.8 range) to protect your equipment and prevent irritating eyes.

Normally high TA tends to drive up pH.

How are you chlorinating? If you are using tabs, they are highly acidic and would explain this. If you are using liquid chlorine, it is net pH neutral.

7.2 is probably the best level to keep your PH. To get your TA down, you'll have to add muriatic acid, this will also bring down your PH. PH can then be raised by either aeration or by using Borax. Aeration takes a bit longer, but is best because it doesn't affect TA. If you use Borax, it will raise TA a bit.

Use Pool Math to determine how much muriatic acid to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.