Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA but low pH?

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA but low pH?

So I've read plenty of posts where people have high TA and higher pH, but I'm having the opposite.
    pH 7.2
    TA 150
    CYA 40
    Chlorine at 2 right now (will be adjusting after kids get out tonite)

I've tried to increase the pH a few times but it seems to head back down to 7.2. (peach color in my testing kit) My TA has been creeping up the past few weeks. Water is clear. Do I need to worry about the pH decreasing?
    24'x 54" Round Sharkline Oceanic installed summer 2014,Hayward EC45 bump style 1.5hp DE filter (using cellulose),TF-100 test kit. First time Pool owner- thinking about SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA but low pH?

You need to worry about pH decreasing in the sense that you want keep it in the mid to high 7's (7.5 to 7.8 range) to protect your equipment and prevent irritating eyes.

Normally high TA tends to drive up pH.

How are you chlorinating? If you are using tabs, they are highly acidic and would explain this. If you are using liquid chlorine, it is net pH neutral.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Liquid chlorine
    24'x 54" Round Sharkline Oceanic installed summer 2014,Hayward EC45 bump style 1.5hp DE filter (using cellulose),TF-100 test kit. First time Pool owner- thinking about SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

7.2 is probably the best level to keep your PH. To get your TA down, you'll have to add muriatic acid, this will also bring down your PH. PH can then be raised by either aeration or by using Borax. Aeration takes a bit longer, but is best because it doesn't affect TA. If you use Borax, it will raise TA a bit.

Use Pool Math to determine how much muriatic acid to use.
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" AGP
    Hayward DE EC50 w/1.5HP Pump
    Taylor K-1004 Test Kit
    Intek 2014 SWG - Copper Disconnected