Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting started - Intex 16x48

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting started - Intex 16x48

We are just starting up out Intex pool.
    THe pp0ol is filled and we followed the instructions for the Intex SWG and salt is dissolving in the pool at this time.

Pool:

Intex 16x48 Ultra - 5,016 Gal
    Pump: Intex 635T
    SWG: Intex cs8110

There are 125 lbs of salt in the pool per the cs8110 instructions. The salt went in yesterday afternoon.

we only have the test kit the came with the SWG (real simple), but we will be ordering the TF-100 test kit this week.

I will follow the instructions for the SWG and start it when I know the salt has dissolved.
    I plan to follow the SWG instructions for adding CYA after the generator has run.

Is there anything you would add/change to this process so far?

I will not have any test results for a couple of days, but will post them here.

My basic questions really start with this:

I see that some say you should put bleach in the pool when SLAMing, or to raise the chlorine level. Is this just something like Chlorox bleach, or is this something I need to buy from a pool supply store.

I know one would need test results to know this, but, typically, how much bleach (gallon jugs) go into a pool to help with chlorine levels?
    I guess I would be looking for examples like 5000 Gal pool has X amount FC and to raise it level Y you would need to use N gal of bleach. Is there a table/calculator for that here?

I will post further info after testing the water.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting started - Intex 16x48

Welcome to TFP!!!

Have you added any stabilizer (CYA) yet? If not, the SWG will not be able to overcome the losses to the sun.
    You should just use regular or bleach or liquid chlorine from the pool store ... whatever is cheaper.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these as they should answer some of your questions:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Water Balance for SWGs
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you!

I bought some HDX stabilizer at the Home Depot. THe label says it is 99% pure. The SWG manual says to add 1.3 pounds.
    I just started running the SWG tonight.
    Should I put the CYA in tomorrow morning? We will have to stay out of the pool another 24 hours while adding the CYA, right?

Also,

Does it matter that the pool cover is ON while I am adding the CYA?
    (this is my first thread here so I am feeling free to ask silly questions).

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you read the links to know how to add the chemicals? Why not add it tonight?

Also use PoolMath to calculate how much CYA to add.

The cover is fine to be on.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I could add it tonight.
    I have read here to put the stabilizer in a sock. Is that right?
    THe calculator says that it can take up to a week for the CYA to dissolve.
    Can the pool be used during that time?

6. Back To Top    #6

It will dissolve out of the sock in a few days, but may not show on the test for a week. Safe to swim the entire time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Added CYA last night. It appears to be dissolving.
    I am running the filter a lot. Should it just be on all the time, or are there preferred cycle times?

Would it make sense to test the water at this stage with the basic strips that came with the SWG? There is a iron strip, and 3-way strip with pH, Alk, and free chlorine?

8. Back To Top    #8

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Read this for pump run times: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time

When is your good test kit expected? You will get the TF-100 quicker from poolsupplyworld.com who ships out of CA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator