Can I run pool without filter? As in temp. eliminating filter for a few days?

Aug 10, 2014
Auburndale, fl
Where I connect the tie rod to screw down my Hayward c1200 filter, the bottom screw area is stripped. I couldn't get it to screw down at all, so my pool has been down for a day now. I have had this pool for almost 3 years now (bought house with pool 3 years ago anyways), but I never ran into anything like this. I ordered a new filteronline (c1200) for $294, instead of going to pinch a penny and spending $475 on one. The only thing is that it will take a few days to get here. Can I completely remove the filter and just run a straight 1 1/2" coupler on each side with 1 1/2" pipe, where the filter was, just to keep the pool cycling with chlorine till the new filter gets here? I'm still learning, so I'm hoping to get advice before I go and do something dumb that will cost me more money. I actually went and bought the stuff to do that, but I figured I'd probably be best asking first before I do it.

I know there are repair kits for the stripped area of the filter, but I don't know how old the filter is, so I just bought a new one. It looks pretty old, so I figured that would be the best scenario for me.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes, you could do that. If you use liquid chlorine you could pour it in, run the pump about 1/2 an hour and then shut it off. Just make sure the skimmer basket is in place so you don't suck any large debris into the system. Do this daily until the new filter is installed.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

+1 with Zea3

Thanks guys.

Took about 10 minutes to hack off the pvc pipes connected to the filter, then to prime, glue and install the new 1 1/2" pvc pipe. Works great right now. I just hope I did enough to keep the water from turning real green on me.

I'm definitely going to have to look into the forums more. A newbie like me could always use help! Thanks again!

- Eddie

Well, I ordered the replacement and got it, but haven't installed it yet. The only reason I haven't done so yet is because my brother in law said he would give me one for free. He came and dropped it off today and it's a Big Bubba Filter BBH-150. I'm hoping it's a good one (looks nice) so I can send the other one back. I might have to pay $30-$40 to send the other one back, but I think it's worth it. I'll go and check the forums to see if I can get any input about the Bubba filter.

One thing you can do when running the pump without filtration is to place a one gallon nylon paint strainer or skimmer sock in the skimmer basket. That would a nice temporary job of filtering out the smaller stuff that normally would get through your basket and into the pump while your filter is down. Home Depot has 'em in the paint isle. I use them year around and I can't recommend them enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.