Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump Replacement Help needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump Replacement Help needed

This is the first time I have posted to TFP. I am a pool novice and have received so much good advice and guidance from many TFP articles and forums that I thought it was time to finally post a question myself. My current pump is a Hayward Superpump with a 3/4HP, Single Speed motor with 115V. I run it 24x7. The pump was here when I moved to this house 3yrs ago and by the looks of it, is pretty old. It is leaking bad again and I think it's time to replace it. I would think moving to a 2 speed Superpump or Superflo would be good so that I can obtain additional cost savings over a single speed. My utility rate is only .099/kWh though. My pool is a 25K gal IG pool w/2 returns, a main drain in the deep end and a skimmer in the shallow. Piping is 1.5.

Any and all help/recommendations on what to buy is appreciated. My breaker is completely full so I would like to stay at 115V.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump Replacement Help needed

Welcome to TFP!!!

Finding 115V 2-speed pumps is a little challenging as only the smallest are not 230V. You would have to find a Superflo 3/4HP 2-speed or a similar Hayward (not sure what they offer in that voltage).

Where is the pump leaking? It might be cheaper and easier to just get a new 2-speed motor for your existing pump and replace all the seals with a "go-kit".
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not sure as I can't see the leak. I presume its leaking from the bottom.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Can you please add your pools information to your "signature" as outlined here http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just added my pool details to my signature....thanks for the help.
    25K gal, IG, H-200 Sand filter, HW Superpump with 3/4HP, Single Speed, 115V motor, Built 1998, 1.5in piping, autocover

6. Back To Top    #6

How about this two speed 3/4 hp Superflo?
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

This is what I was considering too... If there a way to calculate potential energy savings vs just putting in another superpump?
    25K gal, IG, H-200 Sand filter, HW Superpump with 3/4HP, Single Speed, 115V motor, Built 1998, 1.5in piping, autocover

8. Back To Top    #8

I would assume that the Superflo would use about the same power on high as your current pump does. However, on low speed, it will move half the water for 1/4 the power cost. So even doubling the run time on low to move the same amount of water would save 50% of the cost.

Since you currently run 24/7 (WAY overkill), doing so on low speed would use 1/4 the amount of power (also WAY overkill).

As long as your current pump is not cracked, all the seals are easily replaced and you can get a 2-speed motor. Should be at least $100 cheaper than buying the new pump. But if your current one is very old, then just replace it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for advice and information. I will go with the Superflo then. I think I will also cut down the usage then, but I need to have a timer installed for that I assume. I am not handy enough to install so I will have to get an electrician to install. How many hours a day (approximately) do I need to run the pump? Again, thanks so much to all for your help.

10. Back To Top    #10

Check of this Pool School article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    Jason, TFP Moderator