Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where do you store your robot?

1. Back To Top    #1

where do you store your robot?

I'm getting a Dolphin Z5. Can the caddy, robot and power supply stay outside all summer? The instructions say to keep it in a cool/dry area, out of direct sunlight and excessive heat. I was hoping to keep it outdoors next to my pool equipment but wonder if some sun and rain will damage it? I don't have much room in my shed, its a little far from the pool and I think it would be hotter in there than being outside. Where do you keep yours?
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Super Pump VS, Aquarite t-15 swg, Laars Lite 2 LG heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: where do you store your robot?

I keep mine on my covered patio. I don't think I'd keep it anywhere that doesn't protect it from direct rain and sunlight.

ETA: just saw this thread - http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ferrerid=29361

See RobbieH's post - it might be a good option to get some sort of cover for it if you plan to leave it by your pool equipment.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an older Dolphin which also states not to keep it in direct sunlight. I keep mine inside the basement. Being all plastic I think keeping it outside would lessen the life of it. I would not do it.
    16K gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward DE Filter EC-65, 3/4 HP pump, Raypak R266A Gas Heater, Hayward Chlorine Feeder (Retired), Dolphin cleaner. K-2006 w/ Speedstir.
    Pool 18yrs - Liner 14 yrs

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_k View Post
    I keep mine on my covered patio. I don't think I'd keep it anywhere that doesn't protect it from direct rain and sunlight.

ETA: just saw this thread - http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ferrerid=29361

See RobbieH's post - it might be a good option to get some sort of cover for it if you plan to leave it by your pool equipment.
    Thanks for link. I assumed that they were made handle the elements like other pool equipment. I was looking online for a cover but didn't see one. I guess I'll have to make one myself or get a small shed to house it.
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Super Pump VS, Aquarite t-15 swg, Laars Lite 2 LG heater

5. Back To Top    #5

During the summer, mine goes in the screened porch. I have a few small tiles I use to keep the brushes off the ground by supporting the side treads of the unit rather than the brushes resting on the ground. Other than that, full time shade but open air storage. Winter, goes in the basement. I would keep it covered at least when not in use. Ideally out of the sun such as in a shed, garage or under a deck area.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

As you may have seen in a post I made earlier today, it appears to me that the Dolphin robots should be temporarily stored under cover when not in use. The third power supply for my DX4 failed a few days ago, and it's stored next to the north side of the house, but not under cover, when idle. Apparently, the power supplies for these units are not to be exposed to rain.

(And I'm referring to "in between cleaning" storage...not off-season storage, as I keep mine in the garage during winter).
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

7. Back To Top    #7

When not in my pool,my M5 lives in my humidity controlled crawl space. Now, the name crawl space really doesn't fit as for most of it is over 10 feet tall. All of my pool equipment is down there also,
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

During the swim season my Polaris 280 lives in the pool unless I have a pool party then I take it out.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

9. Back To Top    #9

- - - Updated - - -

I keep my dolphin on my covered patio.
    Not good for the plastic to be exposed to sun all day long every day.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

I keep my aquabot in the shed when not in use during the pool season, and in my basement in the winter.
    Maybe you could buy something like this if you want to keep it outdoors.

http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-SSW120...utdoor+storage

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

11. Back To Top    #11

For three years I had my old Dolphin 4 out in the sun and in the pool. It never got put away. It still works just fine, but needs new flap doors on the bottom. But, I will tell you the sun takes its toll. The power button is very cracked and I fear it may break soon. The Dolphin itself is extremely faded. The mount for the power supply broke off and the power supply won't stay mounted to the caddy anymore. In another thread, I mentioned testing the cover for my Weber kettle to see if it covers effectively. I plan on finally doing that tonight.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a 7 year old Dolphin that sits on a caddy. We keep it on our small deck in a corner that has a 4 foot roof overhang. We also have 2 tarps on it, and use a bungie cord wrapped around it. In the winter we keep it stored in the basement.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

13. Back To Top    #13

If it isn't in the water, I would keep it in a climate controlled area. The powersupplies are weatherproof, but if you leave them out, the heat will eventually destroy them. More importantly, my blue diamond was going in for service like every 3 months. Finally I dropped the thing in the pool and it worked for like 2 years without a problem. I can only surmise that the heat of the sun was causing the seals to expand and thats why the motors kept going out.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mhosborn View Post
    As you may have seen in a post I made earlier today, it appears to me that the Dolphin robots should be temporarily stored under cover when not in use. The third power supply for my DX4 failed a few days ago, and it's stored next to the north side of the house, but not under cover, when idle. Apparently, the power supplies for these units are not to be exposed to rain.

(And I'm referring to "in between cleaning" storage...not off-season storage, as I keep mine in the garage during winter).
    I received word from my pool supply store that Maytronics will not replace my third failed power supply under warranty. Even though the failed power supply is only 6 months old, Maytronics is saying (according to the pool store service tech) that my cleaner is out of warranty and, because of that, they won't warranty the power supply.

The service tech agrees with me that the most likely cause of three failed power supplies is that I keep the cleaner, caddy, and power supply, next to the house, but not under roof or cover....and that it must be water infiltrating the power supply that's causing them to fail. I don't know if I have any recourse at this point but to either buy a replacement power supply or a new robot cleaner. Won't be an easy decision, as the power supply cost is about 1/3 the cost of a new robot.

What I'm most upset about is that Maytronics doesn't warn the user to cover up the power supply or offer a cover for it. Those of us that don't have a covered area to store the cleaner are left to find out the hard way (in my case, through these forums) that their power supplies don't like constant exposure to the elements during the swim season.
    16 x 31, Approx. 12,000 Gal Freeform IG pool; Flagstone coping; Quartzscapes Super Blue plaster finish; Tanning ledge w/2 bubblers; 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair sand filter; (2) Pentair Intellibrite LEDs w/controller; Easytouch8 w/IC-40 SWG; Salt finish concrete decking.

15. Back To Top    #15

Mine lives indoors in my tiled mudroom when not in use.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    For three years I had my old Dolphin 4 out in the sun and in the pool. It never got put away. It still works just fine, but needs new flap doors on the bottom. But, I will tell you the sun takes its toll. The power button is very cracked and I fear it may break soon. The Dolphin itself is extremely faded. The mount for the power supply broke off and the power supply won't stay mounted to the caddy anymore. In another thread, I mentioned testing the cover for my Weber kettle to see if it covers effectively. I plan on finally doing that tonight.
    I keep my Dolphin and the caddy poolside all the time. I use a Weber bbq cover over it and seems to protect it nicely. The cleaner typically stays in the pool unless we're planning on swimming.
    26k Gunite freeform pool w/spa, Pentair CCP520, Pentair Mastertemp heater, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Dolphin Oasis Z5

Bob

17. Back To Top    #17

We keep ours in a deck box nearby the pool.
    Pool size = 16,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, 2 speed hayward pump with cartridge filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by BSmitty View Post
    I keep my Dolphin and the caddy poolside all the time. I use a Weber bbq cover over it and seems to protect it nicely. The cleaner typically stays in the pool unless we're planning on swimming.
    I think covering it loosely so it can dry out and is protected form the UV rays of the sun are the key issue.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Texgal View Post
    We keep ours in a deck box nearby the pool.
    Ditto.

Sent via Tapatalk
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

I know this is an old thread but it feels like the right place for this question..

Can we use our robots in the rain or are we best to avoid that if possible
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast