Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dealing with people wanting to use your pool

1. Back To Top    #1

dealing with people wanting to use your pool

How do you handle friends and neighbors who keep asking to use your pool?
    All of our friends are great, except for one. One of our friends/neighbors brings it up every time we see them and its getting really annoying. We have told them many times that we barely have time to use it ourselves. Also, we take safety very seriously and allow only kids who are potty trained and have taken swim lessons to use our pool; their child meets neither requirement. Our child has taken lessons since he was 6 months old. We reiterate these things every time but it doesn't seem to sink in. We have a baby pool and water table that our child uses but we don't want to offer that option as we feel they'll take it as an invite to use the main pool.
    Any advice?
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Super Pump VS, Aquarite t-15 swg, Laars Lite 2 LG heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dealing with people wanting to use your pool

I always say oh man sorry we got an algae attack this week. Or my chemicals are out of walk I have to go to the pool store. My dog jumped in so the pool is full of dog hair.
    16 by 48" 5000 gallons, AG, skimmer plus 1500 filter pump with gfci

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you need to be straight in what kind of rules you jave for the pool. We immediately told our kids we have rules and what the rules are. It doesn't matter if it is our kid or a friend of them. If they don't follow the rules they have to get out of the pool. If they still don't listen it , it was the last time they were in the pool.
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm with koffie on this one. We have rules and they have to be obeyed by adults and kids alike. Everyone always says they need to come use my pool, but its usually more small talk conversation, than actual self invitation.
    Java - Learning that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!- Houston Tx - 22,000 gallon IG gunite pool running a DE Hayward filter DE-4800 (48SQFT 96 GPM), Hayward Vari-flo multi-port valve 715XR60, Pump - Century Centurion 0-177215-04 1hp. Polaris 9400 Sport Robotic Pool Cleaner. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, a pool light, diving board. Age of pool &equipment unknown, pool age est. ~ 20-30 yrs, equipment probably newer.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never let anyone other than my family swim in my pool.......period. There are too many people out there just waiting/looking for any excuse to file a law suit, frivolous or not. People can be overbearing - once you start, it never ends. I have a neighbor with a total "open door " policy with his pool. His gate is left open 24hrs for anyone wanting to swim - to me, it is an invitation for disaster which I hope never, ever happens.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by abfab View Post
    How do you handle friends and neighbors who keep asking to use your pool?
    All of our friends are great, except for one. One of our friends/neighbors brings it up every time we see them and its getting really annoying. We have told them many times that we barely have time to use it ourselves. Also, we take safety very seriously and allow only kids who are potty trained and have taken swim lessons to use our pool; their child meets neither requirement. Our child has taken lessons since he was 6 months old. We reiterate these things every time but it doesn't seem to sink in. We have a baby pool and water table that our child uses but we don't want to offer that option as we feel they'll take it as an invite to use the main pool.
    Any advice?
    Keep doing what you are doing. They are looking to wear you down....

I would add a rule, no children under XX years of age without a parent present and supervising. You don't want to become the child care yard of choice.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by h2ctpdjl View Post
    I have never let anyone other than my family swim in my pool.......period. There are too many people out there just waiting/looking for any excuse to file a law suit, frivolous or not. People can be overbearing - once you start, it never ends. I have a neighbor with a total "open door " policy with his pool. His gate is left open 24hrs for anyone wanting to swim - to me, it is an invitation for disaster which I hope never, ever happens.
    That's my line of thinking..my gate is always locked..
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

8. Back To Top    #8

We take a middle of the road approach, with a select group of friends, close acquaintances, and relatives that are welcome to use the pool if they call first to confirm there are no scheduling conflicts, etc. This does take careful management though as it can easily get out of control even though these are all people we have known for many years.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by koffie View Post
    I think you need to be straight in what kind of rules you have for the pool.
    +1 with that. The question I have is even if their child was trained and schooled on swimming are these people you want around ?? Just wondering if there is something else going on that's harder to tell someone to their face.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

My rule is if your kid is in the pool, so are you. Just tell them you do not feel comfortable that your kid has no swim training. Tell them that bacteria from pee and or pooh in the pool would shut you down for days till you shock, to remove it. I would imagine its a hard thing to say to someone face to face. You will be happy when it's over and probably feel better.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

11. Back To Top    #11

We've given most of the excuses mentioned at some point, as this has been going on since we bought our house three years ago. Once we determined what our pools rules were (as first time pool owners it took a while to figure out and they've been mentioning it since we moved in) we've stuck to reminding them about the lessons/potty training, which ends the discussion but they still bring it up the next time. I think they are hoping to wear us down but it won't happen!! We thought they'd give up by now but haven't. We've been clear with them but its still really annoying that they keep bringing it up. We purposely avoid talking about our pool and had the face to face discussion with them about safety and our rules. They seemed to get it and even admitted that they are not good swimmers, but that doesn't stop them!! We now avoid contact with them, especially during the summer, because of this which is unfortunate. I want to say 'give up its never going to happen'!!
    13,000 gal, IG vinyl, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Super Pump VS, Aquarite t-15 swg, Laars Lite 2 LG heater

12. Back To Top    #12

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...CH-in-the-pool
    Start using these reasons when they ask, "it's for their safety, not your's".
    Btw, it costs a 30 pack to get into my pool and I live 20 minutes from town, so I don't get many visitors.
    Mark A. Shaw
    40K, IG, Vinyl, DE, Purex Triton Challenger 1 hp 75 gpm, PT Nautilus FNS 60, Polaris PB4-60, w/P360, Test Kit: TF-100 & Aqua Chek strips, Blue elec. pool cover, 16.5 gal Kegerator

13. Back To Top    #13

What is it they keep asking? Are they asking to invite themself so they can swim with you, or do they want to use the pool when you are not around ?
    40000 liter in ground vinyl pool with SWG : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...he-Netherlands

14. Back To Top    #14

It actually sounds like you simple don't want to be friends with these people. It may be to your benefit to cut ties with them. Let's be honest swim diapers and life jackets would solve your issues. If it's been three years and you haven't invited them over once for a swim then these people are just not your friends
    16 by 48" 5000 gallons, AG, skimmer plus 1500 filter pump with gfci

15. Back To Top    #15

If it's been 3years and their kid isn't potty trained, they have bigger problems than nowhere to swim !

Stand your ground. It's your pool.
    15x30 IGP; 20,000 gallons; plaster
    Hayward SP2607X10 Pump; Purex Triton Tagelus Sand Filter
    Hayward Goldline T-Cell 15 SWG; Aquarite G1 Control
    Southwest Spas 400 gallon hot tub w/ozone
    TF 100 with speed stir

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I'm kinda a jerk as a rule (I try to keep this persona up)...This keeps most people from asking to use my pool. The ones who do ask are co-workers. I tell them "I'm not going to have a pool party...ever." And leave it at that. Some have said "we could just show up". and I reply "to a locked door, feel free."

Some think I am kidding, but I'm pretty sure most people understand that I'm pretty unsocial. If I want you at my house, you'll be invited, if I don't...you won't. I picked up some signs that state "Video and audio recording" or something of the sort. I need to put those up.

When I bought them the checker asked "trying to scare someone off? or is this for real?" I said "yes". Took her a bit to catch on.. HA

Stand your ground or you will be overrun. I have a cpl friends with pools. They are much more kind than I am, and they rarely have a weekend to themselves. I feel for them, but if they'd install a lock and unplug the doorbell they'd put a stop to that garbage.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
    I'm kinda a jerk as a rule (I try to keep this persona up)...This keeps most people from asking to use my pool. The ones who do ask are co-workers. I tell them "I'm not going to have a pool party...ever." And leave it at that. Some have said "we could just show up". and I reply "to a locked door, feel free."

Some think I am kidding, but I'm pretty sure most people understand that I'm pretty unsocial. If I want you at my house, you'll be invited, if I don't...you won't.
    I live by the same philosphy and couldn't agree more with my fellow MacGyver fan!
    2013, IG, Gunite/StoneScapes, 16'W x 36'L x 3'-6'D, 15K Gallons, w/ 8' Spa - Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair MasterTemp heater 400K
    Pentair Intellibrite LED lights pool x 2, spa x 1 - Pentair EasyTouch 8 controller w/ hand held wireless - Pentair IntelliPH

18. Back To Top    #18

I am only on my 2nd swim season w pool, but struggled a lot last year with the "who is allowed to use it" question. Someone on here (and I am sorry that I don't remember who, because really I owe that person a big thank you!) cleared it up for me. If there are people that would hand you the keys to their car, or their boat, or their house without question then those are probably people that you should consider allowing to use your pool. If the person in question wouldn't let you drive their car without question, then why should you turn your pool over to them?

At the end of your day, your pool, your rules. Hey some people are just rude tactless beasts and I don't feel badly about being rude and tactless back.

Just wait until your kid is old enough to have friends that magically show up at your house with a suit on under their clothes. That is the tough one - I have no idea who you are, where your parents are, or how to get in touch with them - no way are you getting in my pool. Nothing like crushing a child.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by glitter&guns View Post
    I am only on my 2nd swim season w pool, but struggled a lot last year with the "who is allowed to use it" question. Someone on here (and I am sorry that I don't remember who, because really I owe that person a big thank you!) cleared it up for me. If there are people that would hand you the keys to their car, or their boat, or their house without question then those are probably people that you should consider allowing to use your pool. If the person in question wouldn't let you drive their car without question, then why should you turn your pool over to them?
    That shows the differences between friends and acquaintances. I have lots of acquaintances, but few friends. Friends are always welcome to use the pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by glitter&guns View Post

At the end of your day, your pool, your rules. Hey some people are just rude tactless beasts and I don't feel badly about being rude and tactless back.

Just wait until your kid is old enough to have friends that magically show up at your house with a suit on under their clothes. That is the tough one - I have no idea who you are, where your parents are, or how to get in touch with them - no way are you getting in my pool. Nothing like crushing a child.
    We somewhat have this problem with neighborhood kids that are friends with my kids. We know that parents, we allow it. My wife or I are always close by. Not really a whole lot different that kids playing football in your yard if you know that everybody is a strong swimmer.
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast