Coping Repair - Only loose or all hollow?

Aug 7, 2014
Coppell, TX
Dear all,

I have an issue with tiles popping out after water got behind a failed Deck-o-seal (spelling?). I have had three contractors come out and estimate repair. The coping clearly needs to be addressed as well as the tile. The first two did a "tap test" and determined about 80% of the coping is hollow and needs reset (which would almost certainly damage enough flagstone to force a new coping...) The third contractor explained that the two were just trying to get extra work... that the flagstone that was loose (about 15%) needed to be reset, but the hollow ones could be left alone with no extra concern, since I would be re-doing the deck-o-seal and the tile (including the mortar joint between the coping and the tile) - so no additional water could get in and worsen the situation...

Of course I would prefer to go with option three on price - and because I really like the look of my current coping - but not if the hollow coping left un-repaired will just pop loose in the next 2-3 years and force me to reset and damage my new tile (as well as wasting another 25000 gallons of water and startup...

All opinions welcome... Planning on a decision shortly.

Thanks,

Sam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.