Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-Seat O-Ring on a DE Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-Seat O-Ring on a DE Filter

I seem to be having a leak coming from the clamp system of my Hayward DE filter. A poster here suggested I re-seat the o-ring. Since my filter is up and running, what is the best way to do this? Do I have to rinse/backwash the DE out and then pull the plug on the filter to let the water out? Thank you. Here are some pics.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Re-Seat O-Ring on a DE Filter

Yes you will need to shut off the water going into and out of the filter and drain it. After it is drained remove the band clamp and open up the filter. There should be a large o-ring between the two halves of the filter. Go ahead and hose out the DE, then re-charge after the filter is re-assembled. Inspect the o-ring for signs of wear, if good apply a coat of silicone pool lube and place the o-ring in the groove. Place top of filter on carefully, make sure the o-ring doesn't get pinched between the two halves. Put the clamp band back on and tighten it down. Open the valves, fill up the filter and check for leaks. If everything's good you can re-charge the DE.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Re-Seat O-Ring on a DE Filter

Awesome! Thank you!