Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What value do YOU keep your FC level at?

1. Back To Top    #1

What value do YOU keep your FC level at?

So I just got a pool on 7/4 and I've been keeping my FC at a goal level of 6.. Looking back it was someone who recommened that's what I shoot for right out the gate.. Not sure if that was just an initial suggestion or what but that's what I've been using in the poolmath calc..

Now that I look the default FC value in the calc is 4.. Am I keeping my FC too high??

Also, surfing around it shows values waaaay lower then 4 even!

Guideline values:
    Free chlorine: 0.5-1.5 ppm (mg/l)
    Combined chlorine: 0-0.5 ppm (mg/l)
    Total chlorine: 0.5-1.5 ppm (mg/l)
    Cyanuric acid: 0-20 ppm (mg/l)

---------------------------------------------------

Maintain your chlorine levels at 1 - 3 ppm

Free chlorine -- the most active chlorine in pool water -- should be tested every other day and maintained at an ideal range of 1 to 3 ppm

Regardless of how frequently or what system you use to add chlorine to the water, the chlorine level should stay between 1.0 and 3.0 parts per million (ppm) to maintain a healthy pool.
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What value do YOU keep your FC level at?

I keep my chlorine in the 5-6 range. I target at 7-8 in the evenings because I normally lose anywhere from 2-3ppm's per day depending on the circumstances. My cya level is around 40, so that way I ensure I never get below the minimum.

Since finding this site, it has worked for me for 5 years, so I'll just go with that. I think I read somewhere that a lot of those pool guidelines have not been updated it years. Could you imagine trying to keep your cya at 20 while using pucks?
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are using the TFPC method, review the Chlorine/CYA chart here. What FC level you need to maintain is based on your CYA level. What is your current CYA level?

Those other links are not compatible with TFPC methods and don't include proper understanding of the CYA/Chlorine relationship.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    If you are using the TFPC method, review the Chlorine/CYA chart here. What FC level you need to maintain is based on your CYA level. What is your current CYA level?

Those other links are not compatible with TFPC methods and don't include proper understanding of the CYA/Chlorine relationship.

Lots of bad information is given out both at pool stores and on the web. You have to decide which method you want to follow.

To quote Dave, Site Owner of TFP “Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.”
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

My CYA was about 35 the last time I checked.. Guess I should keep it around 4ish..

I went on vacation last week and had my dad add the bleach that I usually add and the FC is now 11! :O I'm guessing that's because the cover never came off..
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514

6. Back To Top    #6

My CYA is 30.
    I top off the FC at 6 ppm every evening. It's never fallen below 3.5 even in the hot Texas Sun.
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow I keep mine FC 10 CYA 70 this seems to keep my PH @ 7.6 and not bounce around...
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

8. Back To Top    #8

Your CYA and FC levels do not affect the pH "bouncing around"

Also a FC of 10ppm at a CYA of 70ppm is on the high side and likely resulting in losing more FC to the sun than you need to. I would target 8ppm and verify that it stays above the 5ppm minimum by the next day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tbird2340 View Post
    So I just got a pool on 7/4 and I've been keeping my FC at a goal level of 6.. Looking back it was someone who recommened that's what I shoot for right out the gate.. Not sure if that was just an initial suggestion or what but that's what I've been using in the poolmath calc..

Now that I look the default FC value in the calc is 4.. Am I keeping my FC too high??

Also, surfing around it shows values waaaay lower then 4 even!

Guideline values:
    Free chlorine: 0.5-1.5 ppm (mg/l)
    Combined chlorine: 0-0.5 ppm (mg/l)
    Total chlorine: 0.5-1.5 ppm (mg/l)
    Cyanuric acid: 0-20 ppm (mg/l)

These look like values for an INDOOR pool.
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

SWG pool in full sun in central Illinois. CYA is about 80 and FC I keep at about 7-7.5. I have an APC automatic cover so I loose little if any FC. Keep my SWG set at 70% and boost with a little LC on Saturdays when I am home.
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Just browsing this thread, there are a LOT of posters here who need to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. It's the jumping off point for everything we teach about Pool Water Chemistry.

I really don't mean this to sound snarky, but we know that the levels we suggest do work and we have NO CONTROL over any other documents on the web.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

You can see my pool specs in my signature. I add bleach in the AM (that's when my filter runs, and that is when I can add at a consistent time of day)

My CYA is in the 25-30 range (I would raise it to 40, but I plan for a full drain at the end of this season to replace my liner)

My AM FC readings vary between 3.0 to 3.5 ppm

I add roughly 32oz of 8.25% bleach per day, in the AM - that is roughly one ppm for my pool

Every so often, if I know it is going to be a very sunny day, or we plan on a large bather load, I will add 64 oz of 8.25% in the morning.

So to answer about FC levels, mine go between a low 3.0 ppm and high of 5.5 ppm, but usualy between 3.5 ppm and 4.5 ppm

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

13. Back To Top    #13

My CYA is about 40, I target FC at 7 every evening and have never seen it below 4.
    24,000 gal vinyl Lazy L, 1 hp pump, DE Filter, Pentair 250K heater, Letro Legend pressure side pool sweep

14. Back To Top    #14

my CYA is between 60 and 70, so my FC is 5 after the sun goes down on a hot day, then about 6.5 - 7 first thing in the am after my stenner injects 88 oz every night of 8.25 Chlorox....
    40,000 gallon ig gunite, Pentair Challanger Century Centurion 2.2 HP Pump, FNS 60 DE filter, Polaris 280, Century Centurion 3/4 HP Booster Pump, Attached ig spa - 1HP Centurion pump - Dual non functioning blowers

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Your CYA and FC levels do not affect the pH "bouncing around"

Also a FC of 10ppm at a CYA of 70ppm is on the high side and likely resulting in losing more FC to the sun than you need to. I would target 8ppm and verify that it stays above the 5ppm minimum by the next day.
    OK will lower it down, thanks for the heads up.
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

16. Back To Top    #16

I keep mine around 5.5 for a CYA value of 70. I really love the way my pool is so very sparkly since finding this site. What I thought was clear last year just doesn't compare to what it looks like today. Even after installing a new pool light that was not working for 7+ years, it looks very clear at night. I never would've imagined this kind of clear was even possible!
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Xexys View Post
    I keep mine around 5.5 for a CYA value of 70. I really love the way my pool is so very sparkly since finding this site. What I thought was clear last year just doesn't compare to what it looks like today. Even after installing a new pool light that was not working for 7+ years, it looks very clear at night. I never would've imagined this kind of clear was even possible!
    That is what I like to hear!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

18. Back To Top    #18

I try to shoot for 7ish every evening. I drop to around 4 with the cover off, and usually only drop 1 or 2 ppm with the cover on. Recently i've only been adding about 25-30oz every 2 days its been so cold. Ph has been steady at 7.5 mostly. All I ever have to add is bleach.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

19. Back To Top    #19

Do you typically add bleach at night after the sun goes down or in the morning? I have been testing in the morning and adding bleach before the sun goes up. However, I am thinking maybe test at night and add at night for the next days consumption. Is that the best approach?
    22,200 gal, IG Vinyl 3.5' - 8.5', Haywood s240 Sand Filter, Polaris 180
    manually chlorinate, 2 skimmers - 1 main drain - 3 returns plus waterfall feature
    TF-100 test kit, pool in sun ~10am - 5pm

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tank View Post
    Do you typically add bleach at night after the sun goes down or in the morning? I have been testing in the morning and adding bleach before the sun goes up. However, I am thinking maybe test at night and add at night for the next days consumption. Is that the best approach?
    Adding after the sun goes down some is the best approach. This lets 100% of the chlorine you add work on whtaever is in the pool versus some of it being used up from the sunlight.

Sent via Tapatalk
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit