Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae with house guests!

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae with house guests!

Had mustard algae a couple of weeks ago. At first, I wasn't sure that I actually had it since I read that most people who think they have it don't. After doing a regular SLAM, I passed the OCLT the first night. I really wasn't losing any more chlorine than I would from normal use and sun to begin with which made this so confusing.
    Anyway, even after the SLAM, the algae kept popping up in the recesses and along the edges where the floor of the pool meets the walls. I also slowly lost the sparkle of my previously crystal clear water, although it was somewhat clear.
    I did the MA SLAM. It took 2 days, but the MA didn't come back and my pool became crystal clear again.
    Well, now it's back after 2 weeks, but this time I have house guests! They are leaving Wednesday night. Should I just keep the pool at regular SLAM levels so they can swim while I keep the MA at bay or is it not a good idea to swim at all when you know there is MA?

FC: 7
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.6
    CYA: 50
    10k gal, AG, cartridge filter, installed August 2012, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae with house guests!

Decided to bring it up to Shock levels, but forgot to lower PH before I added chlorine. A little hectic here. Can I just add the acid now based on my levels before shocking?
    10k gal, AG, cartridge filter, installed August 2012, Taylor K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

Mustard algae requires a higher concentration of chlorine. My advice is to brush, brush, brush.... That stuff grows faster than anything I have seen.
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It is safe to swim as long as you keep the FC below shock level. Algae in itself is not harmful.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!