Handling 14% Chlorine

Kes

Apr 24, 2010
Worcester UK
For several years I have used Tesco's thin bleach as a chlorine source: with a content of 1.5% sodium hypochlorite it is easy and very safe to handle, and cheap too. However it isn't so good when I need to shock, as I do now: I would need a trailer-full of bottles. So I have bought some 14-15% s/h in five litre containers (about 1.3 US gallons). For shocking I need to use a 5 litre dose.

I am rather wary about how I should handle this. With care, yes. Should I decant and dilute first? Pour directly into the pool? I don't really know how potent this stuff is - yet. Any advice appreciated.

We routinely use 12.5% bleach in US. Reasonable care needs to be exercised as it will ruin most anything of color, like cloths, furniture, and car interiors if spilled.

When transporting and storing, ensure lids are tight and well sealing. (ive bleached the back of 2 cars due to not doing this)
Place jugs in trunk well lined with plastic / visqueen to catch any inadvertent drips
If jugs have handles, use bungee cords etc. to secure loose jugs in car for transport.
Try buying bleach in case quantities as they will transport better.

Wear suitable clothing when pouring bleach into pool. Swim suits work rather well. Jeans do not work well as they seem to be magnets for bleach stains.

15% is pretty potent stuff, but not extremely so. We don't take any more special precautions with 15% than we would with 8.25%. If you're concerned with splashing, eye protection might be a good idea and old clothes that you don't care about.

Just pour it into the pool directly in front of a running return. Just lower the bottle close to the pool surface to help prevent splashing.

To dispense quantities you mention, ~5 litres, I also use a cheap plastic watering can (sprinkle head removed) which allows me to dilute 50/50 with pool water. They seem to hold 8-10 liters. It seems I can pour this around the side of the pool using the watering can, with minimal splashing.

I use my dirty close when handling my bleach. They are the clothes that have no worth. Most are stained with paint or grease. The bleach splash adds character. I think what you have going for you is that one container is a full dose. So you don't have to measure it out into another container. Just have to learn to pour it slow enough it doesn't gulp and fast enough it doesn't drip down the front of the container. When done pouring you need to make sure you rinse off what drips down the front of the container. You might think about a rubbermaid tub for transporting just in case it splashes or leaks it is contained.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.