Question about setting pump max flow rate?

Jul 7, 2014
orlando fl
I'm looking to replace my current Jandy FloPro 2 speed 1.5 HP with a Pentair Intellipro. Reading the installation manual for the Intellipro, the manual has a warning box that states" The Maximum Flow rate setting should be set so the system never operates at or above 25” of Hg vacuum." Should I be concerned with setting the maximum speed of the Intellipro lower than the default setting of 3450 RPM? I plan on installing a FloVis meter when swapping the pumps, so I can set my flow rate when the solar is on.

We recently got solar installed. The Pentair Solartouch has the ability to change the pump speed based on solar demand. Right now I have an intermatic mechanical wheel timer setup for starting / stopping the pump, as well as switching from high to low speed. However, since the solar controller is on-demand, with my current setup, if the solar is enabled, the pump has to run a full speed for the entire time it is running. I'd rather save some $$ and have it run at a lower speed when solar demand isn't there.

Are you sure it will not switch speeds on the 2 speed pump? I thought it could do that.

The intermatic timer does not have the capability to do this. The solartouch does have a relay which potentially could be used to do it, but that would mean that I would give up the ability to manually select the speed. I just think it would be easier (and more cost effective in the long run) to upgrade to the intelliflo.

Should I be concerned with setting the maximum speed of the Intellipro lower than the default setting of 3450 RPM?
It would be unusual to have that much suction head even at 3450 RPM. Generally, that would only happen if the return head was very low and suction head was very high.

However, there is probably no reason to operate at 3450 RPM either. 2800 RPM is probably the most you would ever need.

Might be easier, but no way cost effective. The new pump may never save you $800 in electricity over your existing functional pump.

I need to read about the Suntouch as I thought it could easily control a 2 speed and allow you to switch speeds. Might just need to add a relay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.