Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about setting pump max flow rate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about setting pump max flow rate?

I'm looking to replace my current Jandy FloPro 2 speed 1.5 HP with a Pentair Intellipro. Reading the installation manual for the Intellipro, the manual has a warning box that states" The Maximum Flow rate setting should be set so the system never operates at or above 25 of Hg vacuum." Should I be concerned with setting the maximum speed of the Intellipro lower than the default setting of 3450 RPM? I plan on installing a FloVis meter when swapping the pumps, so I can set my flow rate when the solar is on.
    11,400 gallon in-ground pool, with Wet Edge Satin-Matrix finish. No water features, or spa. 7 FAFCO solar panels, with Pentair Solartouch control system. Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Jandy CS150 filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about setting pump max flow rate?

Curious why you are thinking of changing pumps? It will not save very much power over your existing pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We recently got solar installed. The Pentair Solartouch has the ability to change the pump speed based on solar demand. Right now I have an intermatic mechanical wheel timer setup for starting / stopping the pump, as well as switching from high to low speed. However, since the solar controller is on-demand, with my current setup, if the solar is enabled, the pump has to run a full speed for the entire time it is running. I'd rather save some $$ and have it run at a lower speed when solar demand isn't there.
    11,400 gallon in-ground pool, with Wet Edge Satin-Matrix finish. No water features, or spa. 7 FAFCO solar panels, with Pentair Solartouch control system. Pentair Intelliflo VS pump. Jandy CS150 filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you sure it will not switch speeds on the 2 speed pump? I thought it could do that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you sure it will not switch speeds on the 2 speed pump? I thought it could do that.
    The intermatic timer does not have the capability to do this. The solartouch does have a relay which potentially could be used to do it, but that would mean that I would give up the ability to manually select the speed. I just think it would be easier (and more cost effective in the long run) to upgrade to the intelliflo.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by opto_isolator View Post
    Should I be concerned with setting the maximum speed of the Intellipro lower than the default setting of 3450 RPM?
    It would be unusual to have that much suction head even at 3450 RPM. Generally, that would only happen if the return head was very low and suction head was very high.

However, there is probably no reason to operate at 3450 RPM either. 2800 RPM is probably the most you would ever need.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Might be easier, but no way cost effective. The new pump may never save you $800 in electricity over your existing functional pump.

I need to read about the Suntouch as I thought it could easily control a 2 speed and allow you to switch speeds. Might just need to add a relay.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Might be easier, but no way cost effective. The new pump may never save you $800 in electricity over your existing functional pump.

I need to read about the Suntouch as I thought it could easily control a 2 speed and allow you to switch speeds. Might just need to add a relay.
    Thanks for the feedback guys. If you see something, please let me know!

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is the manual: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/suntouchUG.pdf
    On page 29 it describes how to control a 2-speed motor ... looks like you need a 2-speed relay installed which is going to be a lot cheaper than a new pump.

Part: Two-Speed pump relay (P/N 520198) looks like < $100.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

That looks nice - except mine is the Solartouch controller: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/solartouchOM.pdf

I see relays listed in the manual, but no reference to hookup up a two speed pump - only booster pumps, cleaner pump, and single speed pumps...Not sure if that would still work?

11. Back To Top    #11

Oops
    I was always thinking about the SunTouch. You are right I do not see support of 2-speed with the SolarTouch mentioned.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Well it was worth a try! Thanks anyway!