Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thought I'd try cheaper bleach - Food Lion My Essentials instead of Home 360

1. Back To Top    #1

Thought I'd try cheaper bleach - Food Lion My Essentials instead of Home 360

I'd been using Food lion's Home 360 which labels itself at 8.25% with great results. Food Lion also sells My Essentials brand bleach which is much cheaper but doesn't list a chlorine strength. I figured the chlorine content was probably lower but thought I'd give it a try to see if I could save some money. Turns out I need twice a much of the My Essentials to get the same result as Home 360 so I'm switching back to Home 360 - better value. Thought I'd share this in case anyone else was thinking about trying a brand that doesn't list the percentage on the label.
    16x32 (21,000 gal est) vinyl pool. Hayward S244S sand filter. Polaris 9300si cleaner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. Maryland.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thought I'd try cheaper bleach - Food Lion My Essentials instead of Home 360

Quote Originally Posted by callea View Post
    I'd been using Food lion's Home 360 which labels itself at 8.25% with great results. Food Lion also sells My Essentials brand bleach which is much cheaper but doesn't list a chlorine strength. I figured the chlorine content was probably lower but thought I'd give it a try to see if I could save some money. Turns out I need twice a much of the My Essentials to get the same result as Home 360 so I'm switching back to Home 360 - better value. Thought I'd share this in case anyone else was thinking about trying a brand that doesn't list the percentage on the label.
    Sometimes a Google search for the MSDS on a bleach can give you the percentage
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Thought I'd try cheaper bleach - Food Lion My Essentials instead of Home 360

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Sometimes a Google search for the MSDS on a bleach can give you the percentage
    Yup, here is what the MSDS says

"Sodium Hypochlorite 1-6.0%"

I'll guess usually 5.25
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon