Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is storing your pump and multiport valve inside for winter really necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is storing your pump and multiport valve inside for winter really necessary?

instructions in pool school say to store pump and multiport valve inside for winter. Is this really necessary? my pump and sandfilter are hard plumbed so that will make that difficult as I would have to cut the pipe. If I drain the pump and sandfilter, blow all the water out of the lines, and leave the valves open so that any water that may find its way in can drain out, and put multiport on "Winterize" then I would think that would be enough.

has anyone had winter damage from not storing inside?

thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is storing your pump and multiport valve inside for winter really necessary?

That instruction is for folks who use hoses instead of pvc. I believe back when it was written you had fewer hard plumbed above ground pools. As long as you have winterized the way you describe it should be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is storing your pump and multiport valve inside for winter really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    That instruction is for folks who use hoses instead of pvc. I believe back when it was written you had fewer hard plumbed above ground pools. As long as you have winterized the way you describe it should be fine.
    thanks zea!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!